Problem running rake test

I'm using the One-click 1.8.7rc2 Ruby Windows installer, everything has been working fine up till now, when i want to start getting into testing, i got this error, any reason why?

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby -Ilib;test "C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/ lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/unit/word_test.rb" C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:469:in `scan': You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! (NoMethodError) You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.empty?         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:525:in `compile'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:692:in `initialize'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb:51:in `new'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb:51:in `compile'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/template_handler.rb:11:in `call'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/renderable.rb:21:in `_unmemoized_compiled_source'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/memoizable.rb:57:in `compiled_source'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/memoizable.rb:25:in `__send__'          ... 24 levels...         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5:in `load'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5:in `each'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5 C:/Ruby/bin/ruby -Ilib;test "C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/ lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/functional/admin/words_controller _test.rb" "test/functional/words_controller_test.rb" C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:469:in `scan': You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! (NoMethodError) You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.empty?         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:525:in `compile'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:692:in `initialize'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb:51:in `new'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb:51:in `compile'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/template_handler.rb:11:in `call'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.2.2/lib/ action_view/renderable.rb:21:in `_unmemoized_compiled_source'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/memoizable.rb:57:in `compiled_source'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/ active_support/memoizable.rb:25:in `__send__'          ... 24 levels...         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5:in `load'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5:in `each'         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/ rake_test_loader.rb:5 C:/Ruby/bin/ruby -Ilib;test "C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/ lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" Errors running test:units and test:functionals!

Can someone tell me how to solve this?

safestate wrote:

Can someone tell me how to solve this?

The first tip is scan thru all that barf for the first line in code you wrote, not library code. (Not that library code is bug-free, but you just have better odds to understand it!)

... 24 levels...

However, you must run that test again, maybe with ruby test/unit/whatever.rb, so the pin-head system won't elide the filenames from your own code!

I had the same error running my tests. It was working fine then stopped working with the above error. Unfortunately, the trace is not real helpful because the error was occurring in environment.rb ... template_handlers.rb ... erb.rb. Rather than debug Rails or Ruby I went through a process of elimination to find what file was causing the issue.

I found a .jpg file in one of my view folders that if removed allowed the test to complete properly. Per where the error occurring in template_handlers, while I don't know why it puked on this file, it did relate to a view folder.

I don't recall any documentation restricting .jpg files from view folders but maybe I missed something.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that, i don't recall using any jpgs, but its definitely worth a try. will post back soon with results.