problem finding find current page

I have this bit of code in my email.controller

user = @current_user
story = @current_story
recipient = story.user

It doesn't work because @current_story isn't defined. How can I find the
current page to make this work?

You haven’t given anywhere enough detail for us to help you.

@current_story - what are you expecting this variable to contain? Saying “the current page” won’t help. Do you mean the current URL (@request.request_uri)? The current Page object (in which case you must have found the Page object using some code, assign that to @current_story. A variable from the session? @current_story = session[:current_story].

We need a lot more information to be able to help. @current_story is an instance variable, but there’s no information on what you’re expecting it to magically contain.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Jeffries wrote:

I have this bit of code in my email.controller

user = @current_user
story = @current_story
recipient = story.user

It doesn't work because @current_story isn't defined. How can I find the
current page to make this work?

You haven't given anywhere enough detail for us to help you.

@current_story - what are you expecting this variable to contain?
Saying
"the current page" won't help. Do you mean the current URL
(@request.request_uri)? The current Page object (in which case you must
have found the Page object using some code, assign that to
@current_story.
A variable from the session? @current_story = session[:current_story].

We need a lot more information to be able to help. @current_story is an
instance variable, but there's no information on what you're expecting
it to
magically contain.

Cheers,

Andy

The email is to be sent from a page containing a story and comments. I
want it to go to @story.user's email. If I use story=
Story.find_by_id(2) it works but I want an expression to find the
current story not one specified.
Does that tell you enough? Do you want more files sent?

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4823/email_controller.rb

Neil Bye wrote:

The email is to be sent from a page containing a story and comments. I
want it to go to @story.user's email. If I use story=
Story.find_by_id(2) it works but I want an expression to find the
current story not one specified.
Does that tell you enough? Do you want more files sent?

I assume you have a show page that contains the story and the comments.

How are you triggering the email from that form? A hyperlink I assume?
If that's the case, just pass the current story id as a parameter on the
link_to, which makes that id available in the controller for your
Story.find(params[:id]) or something close to that.

Neil Bye wrote:

The email is to be sent from a page containing a story and comments. I
want it to go to @story.user's email. If I use story=
Story.find_by_id(2) it works but I want an expression to find the
current story not one specified.

Ar Chron wrote:

, just pass the current story id as a parameter on the
link_to, which makes that id available in the controller for your
Story.find(params[:id]) or something close to that.

I now have <%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond",
:id => @user.login, :story_id => @story.id %>

In the email_controller.rb I have

story = Story.find(params[:story_id])

Is that what you meant and why does it not work?

What is the value of params[:story_id]? Look in the log.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

I now have <%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond",
:id => @user.login, :story_id �=> @story.id %>

In the email_controller.rb I have

story = Story.find(params[:story_id])

Is that what you meant and why does it not work?

What is the value of params[:story_id]? Look in the log.

Colin

This is the same problem as I posted in the Can't find without id
thread. You dont need to answer both

This is all I have in the log:

Processing EmailController#correspond (for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-06-30
19:32:58) [GET]
  e[4;36;1mUser Load (0.5ms)e[0m e[0;1mSELECT * FROM "users" WHERE
("users"."id" = 1) LIMIT 1e[0m

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound (Couldn't find Story without an ID):
  app/controllers/email_controller.rb:23:in `correspond'

Rendered rescues/_trace (57.5ms)
Rendered rescues/_request_and_response (0.4ms)
Rendering rescues/layout (not_found)

I'll look at the debugging section

Colin Law wrote:

I now have <%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond",
:id => @user.login, :story_id �=> @story.id %>

In the email_controller.rb I have

story = Story.find(params[:story_id])

Is that what you meant and why does it not work?

What is the value of params[:story_id]? Look in the log.

Colin

This is the same problem as I posted in the Can't find without id
thread. You dont need to answer both

You should not ask the same question twice. So what is the value of
@story.id? You could just display it on the page to find out if you
do not know. The page with the link_to "Email this user" ... that is.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

You should not ask the same question twice.

I wouldn't have but the problem was so similar.

So what is the value of

@story.id? You could just display it on the page

It depends which story is shown, that's my problem, it won't pass as a
parameter or some reason.

Of course it depends which story is shown, it is the id of the
individual story. If the value is nil then no parameter will be
passed, if it is not nil then there should be a parameter. You can
also look at the html of the page (view page source in browser) to
check that the id is there in the href.

Add code to show the id on the page and check that it also appears in the href.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

@story.id? �You could just display it on the page

  You can

also look at the html of the page (view page source in browser) to
check that the id is there in the href.

Add code to show the id on the page and check that it also appears in
the href.

Colin

This is from show.html.erb

<%= @story.id %>
<%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond" , :id => "@story_id"
%>

This is view source

2
<a href="/email/correspond/@story_id">Email this user</a>

This is the error that results

Couldn't find Story with ID=@story_id

Where am I going wrong

Colin Law wrote:

@story.id? �You could just display it on the page

You can

also look at the html of the page (view page source in browser) to
check that the id is there in the href.

Add code to show the id on the page and check that it also appears in
the href.

Colin

This is from show.html.erb

<%= @story.id %>
<%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond" , :id => "@story_id"

That is passing the string "@story_id" as the id, you want the value,
so just :id => @story_id

%>

This is view source

2
<a href="/email/correspond/@story_id">Email this user</a>

This is the error that results

Couldn't find Story with ID=@story_id

You should have been able to work it out from this, it is getting the
string @story_id instead of 2

Colin

You should have been able to work it out from this, it is getting the
string @story_id instead of 2

Colin

How can I make it take 2 without using @story.id to find it. If I move
to story 3 it has to send 3. How does it know to do so? Sorry I just
can't get it.

I suggested that in the link_to it should be
:id => @story_id
which provides the value (2 in the case you showed), not
:id => "@story_id"
which provides a string "@story_id"

I think you need to go through some basic ruby tutorials if that does
not make sense.

Colin

<%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond" , :id => @story_id
%>
Gives exactly the same result

Neil Bye wrote:

I suggested that in the link_to it should be
:id => @story_id
which provides the value (2 in the case you showed), not
:id => "@story_id"
which provides a string "@story_id"

I think you need to go through some basic ruby tutorials if that does
not make sense.

Colin

<%= link_to "Email this user",
:controller => "email", :action => "correspond" , :id => @story_id
%>
Gives exactly the same result

ok @story.id

Got it at last thanks