Preventing newer versions from hosing rails apps

I am starting a new rails app and want to use ActiveResource. This requires that I use edge rails, so I froze it to edge. However, after this, the environment would not load, throwing a NoMethodError for "options" on array.

I did some searching and found someone suggesting updating gems when confronted with this error. I did so and the error went away. However, updating the gems also pulled in rails-1.2.3.7116 and this has broken my other apps.

All of these other apps have the RAILS_GEM_VERSION constant set to 1.2.3 in environment.rb. It appears that the rails initializer thinks that 1.2.3.7116 is the same as 1.2.3... which is definitely not true.

Any ideas much appreciated,

Ben

Whoops... for the subject of this I meant "Preventing new versions *of gems* from hosing rails apps.

b

Figured this out... posting it for folks struggling with this down the line (though considering the solution, it must have been there in the archives somewhere... I even remember doing it a while back!).

Just use RAILS_GEM_VERSION="1.2.3.0" instead of "1.2.3". The ".0" forces the initializer to ignore any later "beta" versions.

b