Prevent creation of session objects for API calls

Hi All,

We use:

config.action_controller.session_store = :active_record_store

However, when hitting our system with say 10,000 API requests, we get 10,000 session objects in the database. Which seems like a big waste of resources.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Basically we want API requests to start with an empty in-memory-only session hash which is dropped after the request finishes. Somewhat related, we also don't want to return an HTTP Header Set-Cookie: _session_id=...etc.

Cheers, Jimmy

PS. Using rails 2.3.11

Seems to me like you have no need for sessions at all, since you don’t want the session cookie set.

In your API controller, just put “session :disabled => true” on top.

If you do need sessions, I would suggest just skipping the active record store sessions completely and either moving on to the cookiebased store or a memcache store (which will automatically drop sessions once it hits the memory treshold iirc).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

In your API controller, just put "session :disabled => true" on top.

That's a noop function, it results in a deprecation warning:

"Disabling sessions for a single controller has been deprecated. Sessions are now lazy loaded. So if you don't access them, consider them off. You can still modify the session cookie options with request.session_options."

If you do need sessions, I would suggest just skipping the active
record store sessions completely and either moving on to the
cookiebased store or a memcache store (which will automatically drop
sessions once it hits the memory treshold iirc).

We do need sessions for browser requests.

We specifically don't want a cookie based store due to security issues with that.

Memcache store might be an option, but then it's still making unnecessary tcp/ip calls to find, create and update session objects for API requests which is a waste of resources.

Cheers, Jimmy

What that means, I believe, is that if you do not access the session then it will not be created. That implies that somewhere in your API requests you are accessing the session. Find that/them and remove the access to the session and no session will be created for those requests.

Colin