Possible bug with has_many and Array#empty?

I've pasted the code where I have a problem here:

The bottom line is this: I have an object called document_group that has many document_templates. In my controller, I create class variable like so:

@document_group_templates = @document_group.document_templates

Then, in my view I have to decide to do some rendering, so I do this:

if !@document_group_templates.empty?      ...do stuff   end

The issue is that .empty? always evaluates to true. For whatever reason, the collection of document_templates on the document_group does not get initialized.

I can look in my log file and see that the SQL to populate the array is not triggered. That said,

a) if I do something such as @document_group_templates.inspect that triggers the SQL to run that populates the array

b) if I do

if @document_group_templates.count > 0     ...do stuff   end

the #count method also triggers the SQL to run.

All that said, shouldn't this statement:

@document_group_templates = @document_group.document_templates

have triggered the SQL to load the array in the first place? Is that a bug of some sort?

Josh--

I didn't file a ticket. What is the ticket you are referring to?

Scott

I'm not sure, but I don't think that is the same issue.

Ticket 10115 and 8049 address cases where:   -- an object is being created using #new,   -- another object is being appended to an array of which the new object has many.   -- #empty? is being evaluated before the object has been saved to the DB

In my case, the code is:   -- creating an object A using #find,   -- the object B in the array on object A already existed as data in the database   -- then I'm evaluating #empty?

In my case, the code is: -- creating an object A using #find, -- the object B in the array on object A already existed as data in the database -- then I'm evaluating #empty?

Stab in the dark: if you remove your use of counter cache, does the
problem go away?

Fred