periodic crash

I've got an RoR application that periodically refreshes its page with <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600"> in the <head> section. This works beautifully for the most part, but about every 4 or 5 days, Rails will crash with the dump shown below. All components are up to date, and I'm running with lighttpd and fastCGI. Any thoughts? --Tom

TypeError (incompatible marshal file format (can't be read) format version 4.8 required; 47.117 given): /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/pstore.rb:353:in `load' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/pstore.rb:353:in `load' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/pstore.rb:306:in `transaction' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi/session/pstore.rb:90:in `update' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi/session/pstore.rb:97:in `close' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/cgi/session.rb:330:in `close' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:1184:in `close_session' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:1228:in `process_cleanup_without_flash' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/flash.rb:146:in `process_cleanup_without_filters' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/filters.rb:662:in `process_cleanup_without_session_management_support' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/session_management.rb:124:in `process_cleanup_without_components' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/components.rb:178:in `process_cleanup' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:435:in `process_without_filters' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/filters.rb:624:in `process_without_session_management_support' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/session_management.rb:114:in `process' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/ action_controller/base.rb:330:in `process' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in `dispatch' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 168:in `process_request' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 143:in `process_each_request!' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 109:in `with_signal_handler' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 142:in `process_each_request!' /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:612:in `each_cgi' /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:609:in `each_cgi' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 141:in `process_each_request!' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 55:in `process!' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/fcgi_handler.rb: 25:in `process!' /home/homepage/public/dispatch.fcgi:24

my guess is you have an old session file that rails can't read due to it being an incompatible version (from the error message). you're going to have to take a look at your sessions and see which one is causing the problem.

Off the top of my head, I would think that you had this app deployed under an earlier version of rails, then upgraded. Some old session files were still in place after the upgrade and now they are causing the problems whenever the associated users view your site.

I could be way off base though.

That's what I thought at first too, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Indeed, it will crash if I'm the only user. And everything is freshly installed, not upgraded (rails 1.2.3, ruby 1.8.6, etc). And it works fine for a week or so and then crashes. I can up the frequency of that by increasing the refresh rate so it seems to have something to do with the number of updates, so I'm thinking a stack leak of some kind?

--Tom

Chris Hall wrote:

Note also in the stack dump above, none of what is called is "my" code. It's all core stuff...