perform a check and then call super class when user creates new session

Hey all,

I'm using devise plugin for rails. When the user creates a new session, in addition to devise authenticating the user, I want to check if the user is enabled by checking the value of the enabled (a boolean) field in the database. If the value is 0, I want to alert user that they haven't been enabled, otherwise devise can do it's thing.

I have this:

class SessionsController < Devise::RegistrationsController

def new     super   end

def create   @user = User.authenticate(params[:user][:email])   if !@user.enabled     raise "You are not enabled"   else     super   end   end

def update     super   end end

I have this in User model:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   devise :invitable, :database_authenticatable, :registerable,      :recoverable, :rememberable, :trackable, :validatable

def self.authenticate(email) u = find(:first, :conditions=>["email = ?", email]) return nil if u.nil? return u   end

scope :enabled, :conditions => {:enabled => true}

And the routes:

devise_for :users, :controllers => { :registrations => "registrations", :sessions => "sessions" }

Unfortunately right now I get a nil object error for instance variable @user, presumably because the params hash is not structured correctly. I look at html form and notice the name attribute for email says users[email] which is an array. So that's why I try to do it: [:user][:email] but it doesn't work. Or if you know a better way of doing all this, I'd greatly appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks for response.

While I almost got the behavior I want, there's a problem:

def create   @user = User.authenticate(params[:user])     if !@user.enabled       render "shared_navigation/confirmation"     elsif request.post? #just using else instead of elsif request.post? gives same unwanted behavior         super     end   end

When I click the create button and if the user is enabled, it reloads the same page and I have to click create button twice. This occurs when that super keyword is called which calls the super class. Anyone know why devise reload the same page?

Thanks for response.