Passing array of objects to javascript

Hi

I am looking for the best way to get an array of objects from the database, pass them to the view in an instance variable, then make the array available to a javascript attached to the view.

Thanks Jason

What part are you having trouble with? What have you tried? Why didn't it work? (What happened instead?)

The first two parts are very basic to any Rails app, so I'll assume it's the third. Depending on your exact situation, you probably need to look at Object#to_json and use that in some ERb (or HAML or whatever you use) in your view. (The code that actually does something with it can and should be elsewhere, but I think the call will need to be directly in the view.)

-Dave

Dave Aronson wrote in post #1072670:

Using a data attribute on a div could work. Or you could make it the contents of a hidden div. Or you could assign the value to an object and use the object in a call to a JS function defined separately. Or you could do similarly with a literal. Or you could make your JS obtrusive instead of defining it elsewhere. There are a gazillion ways you could go with it, but yeah, it mostly boils to to_json....

-Dave