Params hash access in before_filter

I've googled around enough to see that this is a common issue, but haven't found a definitive answer on how to access a value from the params hash in a before_filter. I'm currently trying this:

before_filter :only => [:create, :update, :destroy] do |controller|     controller.bounce_if_unauthorized params[:token]   end

with the following in application_controller.rb:

protected   def bounce_if_unauthorized token     puts token     redirect_to root_path,       :alert => 'You are not authorized.' unless token == 'abcde'   end

but the equality is never true. Meanwhile, the verify method mentioned at Action Controller Overview — Ruby on Rails Guides is no longer listed in the API, so that's probably not the way to go either.

How can I create a before_filter based on an element of the params hash?

I've googled around enough to see that this is a common issue, but haven't found a definitive answer on how to access a value from the params hash in a before_filter. I'm currently trying this:

before_filter :only => [:create, :update, :destroy] do |controller| controller.bounce_if_unauthorized params[:token] end

If you use the block form of before_filter then self isn't the controller instance - params[:token] goes nowhere. controller.params[:token] would work (if params is public - I don't recall), or you could do before_filter :blah, :only => ...

def blah   unless params[:token] == ...     ...   end end Fred