Params Documentation?

Is there any documentation on the params method that gets returned from .rhtml forms?

I looked in the RDocs for Rails / Ruby and found a brief glimpse in the CGI module, but it isn't well defined there.

I'm wanting to know *exactly* where it gets its arguments from.

Too often I've seen params[:id] or params[:foo][:bar], without really understanding where that data is coming from.

I thought that it would come from the 'name' parameter in the form, or maybe even all the 'name's put into an Array or Hash, but I can't find any docs to confirm nor deny.

from the console I tried params.class, and it doesn't know about about params, so I'm missing something.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Params are basically what being sent from a form in a rhtml (or html) document. the keys within the hash (params[:key1], params[:key2] for ex.) are the names of the form input tags in the document.

if i have a text field for example:

<input type="text" name="username" />

than when i post this form to a controller action, params will contain params[:username]

OK. That part I get, but how would the rhtml look for something that returns: params[:user][:f_name] ?

And the docs mention something like: <input type="text" name="username" /> so that you can access multiple params, but I didn't gather how I would retrieve it in the controller.

And often times there is a call in a controller such as params[:user] that is filling in all sorts of extra information (user.id, user.name, etc) How is that rhtml generated?

Also, the docs are using both the id and name attributes of the input/text form, why?

Also, what class is params associated with? I'd like to get into the source a bit to get my answer, but I can even find my starting point.

The documentation for some of the details between view/controller with CGI parameter passing is eluding me, though I have a 'rough' idea, I'd like to know more.

Thanks

Matt