Overwriting default accessors

Hi Marnen

Joshua Partogi wrote: >> > end

>> This won't quite work. But before I try to improve it...what are you >> trying to do? Set status to P no matter the argument that the function >> is called with?

> Well there are more logic there actually to set the status. I was > hoping that this accessors would be able to set or change the value of > :status. But the behaviours doesn't seems to be like that.

It can be, but you'll have to do it slightly differently. I'll help you, but you're going to have to explain exactly what you want to have happen.

The point is I want to set the value of the status before it is saved to the database.

> So what is > this accessors used for? Is it only for the view level?

No. It's just that your syntax wasn't quite correct.

Many thanks.

Joshua Partogi wrote:

Hi Marnen

> hoping that this accessors would be able to set or change the value of > :status. But the behaviours doesn't seems to be like that.

It can be, but you'll have to do it slightly differently. I'll help you, but you're going to have to explain exactly what you want to have happen.

The point is I want to set the value of the status before it is saved to the database.

Then you want something like

def status=(value)   new_value = do_something_to(value)   self[:status] = new_value # assuming this class is derived from AR end

The reason your attempt to do status = value didn't work is that it was just calling the same method.

Best,