Overriding layout causes empty response with content_for

Hi,

I'm trying to pinpoint what the issue might be here. In a controller that has the appropriate layout (layouts/controller.html.erb), if I try to override the layout to the 'application' layout only for certain actions, those actions do get rendered with the application layout... Like this:

layout 'application', :only => :new

The 'new' action renders fine, but now the other actions don't render at all!

No error or anything, just an empty response. I've tried renaming the layout files to see if an error shows up, and no error (so no layout is being picked up).

On my views I have content_for, so since nothing is yielding those contents, nothing shows up. If I put something outside a content_for, it does show up (without a layout of course).

If I explicitly render the layout on the action, it works, like so:

render :layout => 'somelayout'

So what's the deal here?

Thanks in advance!

I would try to explicitly specify the layout for the other actions. If you read the docs, you can sort of infer that no layout will be applied if you explicitly apply a layout to some actions: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionController/Layout/ClassMethods.html

“This will assign “weblog_standard” as the WeblogController’s layout except for the rss action, which will not wrap a layout around the rendered view.”

Not sure that’s the right answer – just offering.

jim jim-rants.com

After unsuccessfully trying an after_filter to do the render, I did found out that it is rendering with render_with_no_layout... I was trying to avoid having an explicit render on every action, and now with your comment as I re-read the docs, I think I found an oh-so-ugly solution:

layout proc{ |controller| [ 'new', 'etc' ].include?(controller.action_name) ? 'application' : 'otherlayout' }

Thanks

James Englert wrote:

Ivan V. wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to pinpoint what the issue might be here. In a controller that has the appropriate layout (layouts/controller.html.erb), if I try to override the layout to the 'application' layout only for certain actions, those actions do get rendered with the application layout... Like this:

layout 'application', :only => :new

The 'new' action renders fine, but now the other actions don't render at all!

No error or anything, just an empty response. I've tried renaming the layout files to see if an error shows up, and no error (so no layout is being picked up).

On my views I have content_for, so since nothing is yielding those contents, nothing shows up. If I put something outside a content_for, it does show up (without a layout of course).

If I explicitly render the layout on the action, it works, like so:

render :layout => 'somelayout'

So what's the deal here?

Thanks in advance!

Try this instead: specify a default controller-wide layout, and then action-specific layouts defined within the action itself via render.

class MyController < ActionController::Base     layout "default_layout"

def foo       render :action => "foo", :layout => "foo_layout"     end end

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionController/Layout/ClassMethods.html#M000301

Hello - have you tried looking at Ryan Bates raiscasts - he has a couple on layouts that might help

Owen