One connection per session

Hi all,

I'm new to rails and started building an application on top of my legacy database. I trying to get a login/out system work and I'm using login generator as a basis. My problem is: The user that logs in to the app must also connect to the database (with his own username/password). This means that I need to have a connection per session. Does anyone have some hint on how to do this without needing to reconnect for each request?

Regards,

Håkon

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Can I store the connection in the session? I thought I needed to do a ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection per session if each user should have their own connection to the database.

Håkon

I think you will have to reconnect the user to the database for each controller action he invokes. First insert users database info into config/database.yml file. Then store the name of the database into session when a user logs in. Then in the application controller do:

before_filter :db_connect   private     def db_connect       if session['database']         ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(session['database'])       end     end

and in your login controller:

def your_login_method     # figure out database name     # ...     if authenticate(login, password)       session['database'] = database_name       redirect_to :somewhere     end   end