Observers not working because of AR Plugins? (Rails = 1.2.3)

Hi list,

I've tried to implement a simple Observer to log changes to my objects. Whenever I try to enable the observer in my environment.rb, my application refuses to start.

Here's what's in my environment.rb:

Rails::Initializer.run do |config|    config.active_record.observers = :audit_observer end

It seems, that rails can't find the plugins used in the observed models. This was a problem in older rails version (see http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/4684), but I'm using rails 1.2.3, so this is already included.

As nearly all my models ar using some plugins, what can I do to get observers working?

Here's the mongrel output:

=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3005 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3005 ** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/base.rb:1235:in `method_missing': undefined method `acts_as_timeable' for Client:Class (NoMethodError)         from ./script/../config/../app/models/client.rb:3          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:203:in `load_file'          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in'          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:202:in `load_file'          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:94:in `require_or_load_without_engine_additions'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/plugins/engines/lib/engines/rails_extensions/dependencies.rb:139:in `require_or_load'          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:248:in `load_missing_constant'          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:452:in `const_missing'          ... 38 levels...          from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/server.rb:39         from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'         from script/server:3

Regards, Timo

ok, I was looking into the wrong version of environment.rb.

It looks like this:

Rails::Initializer.run do |config|   config.plugins = ["engines", "*"]   config.active_record.observers = :audit_observer end

I really wonder, why config.plugins = ["engines", "*"] is causing the error? Shouldn't all plugins get loaded before the observer gets activated?

When I put all plugins into that config.plugins Array, it seems to work. So, why does "*" does not work?

Regards, Timo