Observer not picking state change in user

Hello,-

does anyone have a good idea of how to trace a fault in the following:

I have a User model (user.rb) with these methods:

def create_reset_code     code = User.get_random_string(10) #working class method     self.password_reset_code = code     self.save(false)     @reset = true     #Notifier.deliver_reset_notification(self) #works from here   end

def recently_reset?     @reset   end

Also I have an Observer with this code:

class UserObserver < ActiveRecord::Observer   def after_save(user)     debugger     puts "I observe " + user.username     puts "Did " + user.username + " reset his password? " + user.recently_reset?.to_s     Notifier.deliver_reset_notification(user) if user.recently_reset?   end end

The problem is that the user.recently_reset? in the Observer returns nil.

When I test def recently_reset? interactively in the console (testing the User model), it works as intended. So the user model works correctly and the Observer does, too (as evidenced by the debugger and the first puts statement).

I tried to test the UserObserver interactively but get this:

obs = UserObserver.new

NoMethodError: private method `new' called for UserObserver:Class   from (irb):1

Why does the Observer fail to read the user.recently_reset? correctly?

Thanks a lot, Vahagn

The problem is that the user.recently_reset? in the Observer returns nil.

When I test def recently_reset? interactively in the console (testing the User model), it works as intended. So the user model works
correctly and the Observer does, too (as evidenced by the debugger and the first puts statement).

Well you set @reset to true after you've called save: at this point
all the callbacks and observers and so on have already run so it's too
late. You need to play with @reset before you call save.

Fred

Oh well. I just love those programming mistakes that make one appear like a total n00b because they are so basic one doesn't even stop to think about their possibility of occurring.

Thanks Fred, it's working now :slight_smile:

/ Vahagn