Number Helper method

hello all

i was lookin for a method which wud print the floating numbers without fractional part if the fractional part is 0

5.0 shud print 5 5.5 shud print 5.5

is there any helper method to do it

jags

What about using a helper method:

def my_special_float_format(val=0.0) val % 1 == 0 ? val.to_i : val end

Hi James

Thanx for that

further on this suppose the method name is sff(special float format) how will i able to do such statement anyfloatvalue.to_spp like we do anyfloatvalue.to_i

i dont want to pass argument

thanks again

James Mitchell wrote:

I'd probably go with something a bit more specific to a float:

def to_spp(num)   raise ArgumentError unless num.respond_to?(:floor)   num.floor==num ? num.to_i.to_s : num.to_s end

Personally I would recommend putting this in application_helper.rb and using it like the 'number_to_currency' helper because it appears to be something that you only want to do when rendering the value in a view.

If you want to use it as an instance method on float (as you suggest) then it's fairly straightforward. Ruby classes are always open for extension so you just open the class and add it. Often extensions to core classes are put in /lib/core_ext with a file name similar to the class your extending. In this case you might have the following in / lib/core_ext/float_ext.rb

class Float   def to_spp     num.floor==num ? num.to_i.to_s : num.to_s   end end

Then in your environment.rb you'd require 'core_ext/float_ext' (it'll search and find the path under lib) and you could simply invoke it on your floats.

wow! cool!

thanks andy thats all i needed.got some ruby insight in the process