Not being able to order by includes on Rails3

I have the following expression:

user.clocks.includes(:runs => :user_runs).includes(:users).find_by_id(params[:id])

which seems to work fine. But when I add an orders, like this:

user.clocks.includes(:runs => :user_runs).includes(:users).orders("users.names").find_by_id(params[:id])

it breaks with the following error:

ActiveRecord::ConfigurationError: Association named 'user_runs' was not found; perhaps you misspelled it?     app/controllers/clocks_controller.rb:19:in `show'         test/functional/clocks_controller_test.rb:21:in `__bind_1286475263_942556'

Any ideas why?

The model looks like this:

class Clock < ActiveRecord::Base       has_and_belongs_to_many :users       has_many :runs     end

class Run < ActiveRecord::Base       belongs_to :clock       has_many :user_runs       has_many :users, :through => :user_runs     end

class UserRun < ActiveRecord::Base       belongs_to :run       belongs_to :user     end

Continuing with my investigation I've tried this:

ubiquitous_user.clocks.includes(:runs => :user_runs).find_by_id(params[:id])

and I've noticed the queries it's generating doesn't get user_runs at all.

I've created a set of tests to try to figure what was going on:

context "A graph of users, clocks, runs, etc" do     setup do       @users =       10.times do         @users << Factory.create(:user)       end       @clocks =       10.times do         @clocks << Factory.create(:clock, :users => @users)       end       @clocks.each do |clock|         10.times do           run = Factory.create :run, :clock => clock           @users.each do |user|             Factory.create :user_run, :run => run, :user => user           end         end       end       @user = @users.first       @clock = @clocks.first     end

should "find a clock" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.find(@clock.id)     end

should "find a clock with users" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.includes(:users).find(@clock.id)     end

should "find a clock with users and runs" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.includes(:users, :runs).find(@clock.id)     end

should "find a clock with users, runs and user_runs" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.includes(:users, :runs => :user_runs).find(@clock.id)     end

should "find a clock with users order by users.name" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.includes(:users).order("users.name").find(@clock.id)     end

should "find a clock with users and runs order by users.name" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.includes(:users, :runs).order("users.name").find(@clock.id)     end

should "find a clock with users, runs and user_runs order by users.name" do       assert_not_nil @user.clocks.includes(:users, :runs => :user_runs).order("users.name").find(@clock.id)     end   end

Every test but the last one pass. Is this not a bug?

I am now convinced this is a bug, so I reported it here: https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails/tickets/5768

Next time you have a problem with something like this use the to_sql method, it will show you the sql query generated, and you can see what is wrong with what you are doing.