Non-conventional actions and Atom feeds

I would like to provide Atom feeds in response to different actions. I am aware that eg map.resources :posts helps me generate a feed as a request for /posts.:format, but as I am getting into problems, I see that I do not have the full understanding of what is going on.

I would like to do the same (but with a different dataset) for other actions such as /posts/today or /posts/yesterday.

For instance, I have created app/views/posts/today.atom.builder file,

and in today.html.erb view I put <%= auto_discovery_link_tag :atom, url_for(:action => 'today') %>

but clicking on the feed icon in Firefox only reloads the html page, while explicitly requesting posts/today.atom produces:

ActionController::RoutingError (No route matches "/pots/today.atom" with {:method=>:get})

What am I missing? Should I specify a new named route?

Marko

Do your actions define a response for atom requests in a respond_to block ?

Jan

Currently it looks like:

def today     # load @posts...     respond_to do |format|       format.html       format.atom     end   end

Marko

Have you included your additional methods in your routes.rb, as in

map.resources :posts, :collection => { :today => :get, :yesterday => :get }

? That should do the trick.

Also, I think the url_for you're using in auto_discovery_link_tag lacks the format parameter; I think you can use

formatted_today_posts_url(:atom)

and

formatted_yesterday_posts_url(:atom)

instead.

Thank you, the :collections parameter to map.resources is what it takes. And it gives the formatted_* helpers. Now the API docs are more clear :).

Marko