No CSS at all in IE , works perfectly in Firefox

Newbie question - and obviously I am missing something!! Any help would be appreciated. I am basically doing Rails tutorials and have fully working - fully styled apps running in Firefox - however when I try and view same app in IE I get absolutely no CSS styling at all - I compare the source from each browser and it appears the same - and all paths are correct thanks in advance

Then maybe there's a problem with your CSS? When you view the source on each browser, is it different? Maybe your HTML specification tag is incorrect.

-Ryan

Liam Noble wrote:

Newbie question - and obviously I am missing something!! Any help would be appreciated. I am basically doing Rails tutorials and have fully working - fully styled apps running in Firefox - however when I try and view same app in IE I get absolutely no CSS styling at all - I compare the source from each browser and it appears the same - and all paths are correct thanks in advance

Ryan - thanks for replying - here's the source from FireFox....

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd&quot;&gt; <html>     <head>       <title></title       <link href="/stylesheets/main_CSS_1.css?1202772794" media="screen" rel="Stylesheet" type="text/css" />       <script src="/javascripts/prototype.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/effects.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/dragdrop.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/controls.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/application.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script>

</head>     <body>         <div id="container">         <div id="header"></div>         <div id="nav">             <a href="/">Home</a> | <a href="/articles">News</a> |

......... and here is IE 7

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd&quot;&gt; <html>     <head>       <title></title       <link href="/stylesheets/main_CSS_1.css?1202772794" media="screen" rel="Stylesheet" type="text/css" />       <script src="/javascripts/prototype.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/effects.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/dragdrop.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/controls.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/application.js?1202595331" type="text/javascript"></script>

</head>     <body>         <div id="container">         <div id="header"></div>         <div id="nav">             <a href="/">Home</a> | <a href="/articles">News</a> |

This is a silly question but does your IE display other websites properly?

Melvin Ram wrote:

This is a silly question but does your IE display other websites properly?

On Feb 12, 12:46 pm, Liam Noble <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Not a silly question at all - that's the first thing I did! I went to rubyonrails.org just to make sure I wasn't mad.... it shows up perfectly - well as perfectly as IE will - but I will settle for that! I am stumped and I know it must be staring right at me...

Make sure all your CSS brackets { and } are closed properly. You will get this error if one of the ones high up in the CSS is not closed properly.

Ryan Bigg wrote:

Make sure all your CSS brackets { and } are closed properly. You will get this error if one of the ones high up in the CSS is not closed properly.

stumped and I know it must be staring right at me... -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

>

-- Ryan Bigg http://www.frozenplague.net Feel free to add me to MSN and/or GTalk as this email.

I checked the CSS in the Validator ----- tested fine - no errors But I have at least isolated to IE7 - IE6 works ok.

Can you show us the CSS file please?

Try breaking it down into smaller chunks and see what works and what doesn’t work when you comment it out. Surely it’s just one thing that’s breaking it all, and I can’t see what it is.

Yea I would do what Ryan is suggesting. Test 1st half, and then 2nd half. If one of them works and the other doesn't, test 1st half of bad code & then 2nd half. Keep doing until you figure out what is breaking things.