No action responded to record

When I click on "record" I get:

Unknown action

No action responded to record <http://localhost:3000/feeds/record&gt;

I'm going by the tutorial at <http://developer.apple.com/tools/ rubyonrails.html> and am adapting it to my project; all code at <http:// strawr.googlecode.com/svn/>.

I added a "record" method to feeds_controller.rb which corresponds with feed/show.rhtml, so I'm unclear as to what the error message the browser gives means.

thanks,

Thufir

I added a "record" method to feeds_controller.rb which corresponds with feed/show.rhtml, so I'm unclear as to what the error message the browser gives means.

No you haven't :slight_smile: What you've done is class FeedsController ... end

def record ... end

Fred

I don't understand what you're getting at. The file name is "feeds_controller.rb", but, yes, it's class FeedsController. Yes, the name of the file and the class name are related. Still, I don't get the significance of your observation. Nor, really, what you've observed.

What I want is something similar to the screenshot at <http:// code.google.com/p/expenses/downloads/list>, albeit for a many-to-many.

thanks,

Thufir

No you haven't What you've done is class FeedsController

I don't understand what you're getting at. The file name is "feeds_controller.rb", but, yes, it's class FeedsController. Yes, the name of the file and the class name are related. Still, I don't get
the significance of your observation. Nor, really, what you've observed.

What I want is something similar to the screenshot at <http:// code.google.com/p/expenses/downloads/list>, albeit for a many-to-many.

You've done class FeedsController ... end

def record end

If you want record to be an action on feeds controller, the def record
bit needs to be inside the class, not outside (which means that the
methods end up as private methods on Object)

Fred

Oh, I feel a bit silly; thanks!

I'm going to look at this later, but when I click on the submit (record!) button the result is:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in FeedsController#record

Couldn't find Category without an ID

RAILS_ROOT: ./script/../config/.. Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/ base.rb:1012:in `find_from_ids' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/ base.rb:419:in `find' /home/thufir/Desktop/strawr/app/controllers/feeds_controller.rb:54:in `record'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/ base.rb:1012:in `find_from_ids' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/ base.rb:419:in `find' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:1101:in `send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:1101:in `perform_action_without_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:696:in `call_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:688:in `perform_action_without_benchmark' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ benchmarking.rb:66:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in `measure' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ benchmarking.rb:66:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ rescue.rb:83:in `perform_action' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:435:in `send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:435:in `process_without_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:684:in `process_without_session_management_support' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ session_management.rb:114:in `process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:334:in `process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in `dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:113:in `handle_dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:79:in `service' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in `service' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in `start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `each' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:63:in `dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59 /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:495:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:495:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/server.rb:39 /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' script/server:3

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/ base.rb:1012:in `find_from_ids' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/ base.rb:419:in `find' /home/thufir/Desktop/strawr/app/controllers/feeds_controller.rb:54:in `record' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:1101:in `send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:1101:in `perform_action_without_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:696:in `call_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:688:in `perform_action_without_benchmark' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ benchmarking.rb:66:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in `measure' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ benchmarking.rb:66:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ rescue.rb:83:in `perform_action' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:435:in `send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:435:in `process_without_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:684:in `process_without_session_management_support' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ session_management.rb:114:in `process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:334:in `process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in `dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:113:in `handle_dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:79:in `service' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in `service' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in `start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `each' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:63:in `dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59 /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:495:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:495:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/server.rb:39 /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' script/server:3

Request

Parameters: {"category"=>{"category"=>"category4"}, "commit"=>"Record!"}

Show session dump

This should be obvious. You're doing Category.find(params[:id]), but there is no :id parameter in your form.

Fred