Newbie worries with "Developing Rails Applications on Max OSX Leopard"

Hello There, As a new comer to RoR, I started to follow the article http://developer.apple.com/tools/developonrailsleopard.html. In short you create to entities and one one-to-many relation linking them.

Everything was good until the establishment of the relation. I am unable to go any further than "Linking Models Together" : I can create the "vendors" mentionned in the exemple, and I can get an "event" to look to. But when I try to create an "expense", I get a message saying :

event.expenses.create(:vendor => vendor1, :amount => 75.00)

NoMethodError: undefined method `expenses' for #<Event:0x125e008>   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:205:in `method_missing'   from (irb):2

Could anybody help me ? I have checked the classes files, everything seems according to the article. I did checks on the database, the table "expenses" has been created but is empty. The "id" fiels are present in each of the tables... I don't see where to look to now.

Thanks in advance,

Thierry

Thierry wrote:

NoMethodError: undefined method `expenses' for #<Event:0x125e008>   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:205:in `method_missing'   from (irb):2

Could anybody help me ? I have checked the classes files, everything seems according to the article. I did checks on the database, the table "expenses" has been created but is empty. The "id" fiels are present in each of the tables... I don't see where to look to now.

Do you have the following in your Event class:

has_many :expenses

? This is the line that give the Event class the method "expenses" which links to the Expense class. And in the Expense class:

belongs_to :event

to get the map the other way around giving the Expense class the method "event".

Mark,

Thanks for your answer. Precisely, it seems to me that I have everything right. I put the code here :

===== > In the "event.rb" file :

class Event < ActiveRecord::Base   validates_presence_of :name   validates_numericality_of :budget, :greater_than => 0.0

has_many :expenses   has_many :vendors, :through => :expenses

def total_expenses     expenses.sum(:amount) || BigDecimal("0.0")   end

def budget_exceeded?     total_expenses > budget   end

end

===> In the expense.rb file :

class Expense < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :event   belongs_to :vendor end

===> In the vendor.rb file :

class Vendor < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :expenses   has_many :events, :through => :expenses end

Thanks again

That's it :

Expense.column_names

=> ["id", "event_id", "vendor_id", "amount", "created_at", "updated_at"]

Event.column_names

=> ["id", "name", "budget", "created_at", "updated_at"]

Expense.column_names

Vendor.column_names

=> ["id", "name", "email", "created_at", "updated_at"]

It looks fine too, doesn't it ?

Thierry wrote:

That's it :

Expense.column_names

Event.column_names

=> ["id", "name", "budget", "created_at", "updated_at"]

It looks fine too, doesn't it ?

Yes. Was the error produced in a console that you started *after* making the extra changes to the Event and Expense models? In a console, the models are loaded when first used only and if you change them then you need to reload them. You can do this with:

reload!

or just by restarting the console (use "quit" to exit, then run the console again).

I did it as follows :

$ script/console Loading development environment (Rails 2.0.2)

event = Event.find_by_name('Bienvenue')

=> #<Event id: 4, name: "Bienvenue", budget: #<BigDecimal: 125d57c,'0.456E3',4(8)>, created_at: "2008-03-05 17:33:11", updated_at: "2008-03-05 17:33:11">

NoMethodError: undefined method `expenses' for #<Event:0x125dd88>   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:205:in `method_missing'   from (irb):2

I am really lost...

SOLVED

In fact, I have been fooled by XCode that does not save the files when it tells you that it does... I had to close completely XCode for some modifications to be taken into account by rails. I have noticed this when I had to restart my computer (battery low), my files where in an old version. When I retyped the missing code I made typos, and I saw them appear in the logs. The only solution to correct them has been to close completely XCode and to execute a reload! in the console... A bit strange. Thanks to all and sorry for your time,

Thierry

I had this exact same problem. Found this page searching for a solution to my "NoMethodError" blues. Had to close XCode and re-open it for the changes to be recognized. That is a VERY annoying problem.

Also had to quit the ruby console and restart it. Using the "reload!" command mentioned above did not work.