Newbie: Syntax for handling hash/arrays returned through SQL

I successfully created a few tables, controllers, models, etc., but I'm hung up on taking the results that I receive back from a database search. I started with higher level ActiveRecord usage and have gone down to a raw sql query:

dailyReading = ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_all("select * from dailyreadings where month = '3' and day = '6'")

I can see in the development.log that the query is fine. I'm simply struggling with the syntax that will allow me to take the resultset and use it. I've tried:

- bookTitleStart = dailyReading[:start_book_title] - bookTitleStart = dailyReading(:start_book_title) - bookTitleStart = dailyReading[0] - etc.

I either get the whole array or nothing at all. The books and resources I've seen so far haven't addressed this level of direct sql query/result usage. However, this has to be simple, but I've just not figured it out yet.

I successfully created a few tables, controllers, models, etc., but I'm hung up on taking the results that I receive back from a database search. I started with higher level ActiveRecord usage and have gone down to a raw sql query:

What was wrong with using ActiveRecord?

dailyReading = ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_all("select * from dailyreadings where month = '3' and day = '6'")

I can see in the development.log that the query is fine. I'm simply struggling with the syntax that will allow me to take the resultset and use it. I've tried:

- bookTitleStart = dailyReading[:start_book_title] - bookTitleStart = dailyReading(:start_book_title) - bookTitleStart = dailyReading[0] - etc.

To get the 'start_book_title' field of the first record returned you want:

dailyReading[0]['start_book_title']

-philip

Two things.

One is figuring out the syntax. I setup a Dailyreading controller and the scaffolding code works fine. I'd like to call the view method on the controller, but add constraints to essentially do what I did through sql. While I had some things working, I decided to eliminate that variable by going with pure sql. Now that you've help fix my array issues, I can go back to it.

Second, the tables don't have a standard relationship. Daily readings involve a start point and an end point, so it doesn't really fit the standard relational model. Still, I can use much of what ActiveRecord provides to avoid using too much sql and custom manipulation.

To get the 'start_book_title' field of the first record returned you want:

dailyReading[0]['start_book_title']

Perfect!

Two things.

One is figuring out the syntax. I setup a Dailyreading controller and

in your controller...

@daily_readings = DailyReading.find(:all,    :conditions => ["month = ? AND day = ?", 3, 6],    :order => "month, day") # you probably want to order by something...

in your view...

<% dailyReadings.each do |dr| %>    Start Book Title = <%= dr.start_book_title %>    <br /> <% end %>

You also get the advantage that (assuming start_book_title is a datetime) you get all the nice date/time functions rails/ruby provides...