Newbie Session Discussion: Expiration and Clean Up NO CRONS

Please forgive this discussion, but I’m not sure where to find what I’m looking for.

I’m coming for a PHP background, where I’ve only ever used sessions for very simple storage (serializing when I need a lil’ more structure). Also I’ve been using the PHP sessions, which PHP is responsible for cleaning up.

After reading Agile Web Development Development, they made some suggestions:

• Don’t store data in the session, but have a separate structure that you reference with the session ID
  • Store sessions in the database. This poses some questions:
  • Can you implement some sort of session cleaning solely through Ruby without the need for a CRON job?
  • With this clean up (or even with a cron job) how does one handle the associated data in the database? How do we prevent these from being orphaned, since their session is now gone. Eg. in the book, I think they were talking about cart information. If you had each cart stored in the database and referenced by a session id, how do we ensure that that cart gets deleted when the user’s session expires or is cleaned?
  • How does Rails 2.0 and the default Cookie based session storage help/hurt the above? I take it there’s no cleanup? Still, how do we clean the associated data? Any help would be much appreciated. Please bare with the ignorance.

ThanX in advance guys.

Please forgive this discussion, but I’m not sure where to find what I’m looking for.

I’m coming for a PHP background, where I’ve only ever used sessions for very simple storage (serializing when I need a lil’ more structure). Also I’ve been using the PHP sessions, which PHP is responsible for cleaning up.

After reading Agile Web Development Development, they made some suggestions:

• Don’t store data in the session, but have a separate structure that you reference with the session ID
  • Store sessions in the database. This poses some questions:
  • Can you implement some sort of session cleaning solely through Ruby without the need for a CRON job?
  • With this clean up (or even with a cron job) how does one handle the associated data in the database? How do we prevent these from being orphaned, since their session is now gone. Eg. in the book, I think they were talking about cart information. If you had each cart stored in the database and referenced by a session id, how do we ensure that that cart gets deleted when the user’s session expires or is cleaned?
  • How does Rails 2.0 and the default Cookie based session storage help/hurt the above? I take it there’s no cleanup? Still, how do we clean the associated data? Any help would be much appreciated. Please bare with the ignorance.

ThanX in advance guys.