Newbie regular expression question..

Hello champs,

I am having an string and i want all extra characters to be removed from that string except + and . How to write a regular expression for it.. Currently i am trying it like this as word.sub(/[_-\:\\\/]/, "").. But its not working..

I can do it like this as well:- word.sub(/[\W]/, "") but this will replace all characters even also + and .

Give sample input string and output string..

Le 07/04/2010 11:44, Hemant Bhargava a �crit :

Hello champs,

I am having an string and i want all extra characters to be removed from that string except + and . How to write a regular expression for it.. Currently i am trying it like this as word.sub(/[_-\:\\\/]/, "").. But its not working..

I can do it like this as well:- word.sub(/[\W]/, "") but this will replace all characters even also + and .   

This seems to be what you need :

str = "ABCD EF + (GH_IJ).klm _ ^^z" str.gsub(/[^\w\+\.]|\_/i, '') => "ABCDEF+GHIJ.klmz"

Siddick Ebramsha wrote:

Give sample input string and output string..

Hey thanks for such a quick reply..

Ok lets suppose, Input:- :Hemant.bhargava+_7@gmail.com Output should be as only, Hemant.bhargava+7@gmail.com

Means that i want to remove all extra chars except . and +.. Hope u got it now..

word.gsub(/[^+\.]/, "")

oh... if you want to keep alphanumeric characters:

word.gsub(/[^a-zA-Z0-9+\.]/, "")

The question or the example isn’t clear enough.

But for the example you gave, this works = a.sub(/[\s_]/,‘’)

Thanks & Regards, Dhruva Sagar.

AMILIN Aurélien wrote:

Le 07/04/2010 11:44, Hemant Bhargava a �crit :

Hello champs,

This seems to be what you need :

str = "ABCD EF + (GH_IJ).klm _ ^^z" str.gsub(/[^\w\+\.]|\_/i, '') => "ABCDEF+GHIJ.klmz"

-- Aur�lien AMILIN

Thanks guyz, this worked like a charm.. Thanks to all of you who replies so quickly ..