Newbie question: Transferring values to a text field

Hi.

I have a simple question. Looks like it's something basic.

I have 2 elements: a form with a textfield and a link (father), and a panel with a link that includes a value inside (child). Here's how my analogy works:

- First you click on the link of the "father" to make the "child" appear (with an "Effect.Appear" command). - Then you click on the link, and two processes are done here:

The value is passed to the textfield. The "child" dissapears (with an "Effect.Fade" command)

To tell you the truth, I have made and example code of the view (without the value transfer to the textfield):

#index.html.erb: <% form_tag :action => 'access' do %> <p><label for="user_username">Username</label>: <%= text_field 'user', 'username' %></p> <p><label for="user_passwordkey">Password</label>: <%= text_field 'user', 'passwordkey' %></p> <%= submit_tag "Enter" %> <% end %> <p id="search_link"><%= link_to_function("User missing?", "Effect.Appear('search'); return false;") %></p> <div id="search" style="display:none;"> <p>User search:</p> <p><%= link_to_function("My User", "Effect.Fade('search'); return false;") %></p> </div>

Can you tell me what's missing or wrong? I would like to know, because I'm beginning with Rails 2.1. I know it can be done on standard HTML and Javascript. So I want to do it on Rails.

BTW, I'm using scrpit.aculo.us for this example to make it feel alive!

Greetings...

The Neurochild.