Newbie Question: multiple models - need ID from one table to populate the other

Hello,

I am creating a new record in my Elements table and that is pretty straight forward. But I need to add an ID to the Elements table that comes from another model - Pages. How can I create a record in the Pages table and then use its ID to populate the Elements table?

I was trying something like this in the ElementsController:

def create     @page = Page.new(params[:page])     @element = Element.new(params[:element])     if @element.save       flash[:notice] = '{@element.type.capitalize} was successfully created.'       flash[:inform] = true;       render :partial => show     end   end

But no luck so far - any ideas?

Thanks!

Walksalong wrote:

I need to add an ID to the Elements table that comes from another model - Pages. How can I create a record in the Pages table and then use its ID to populate the Elements table?

def create    @page = Page.new(params[:page])

@page.save # it won't have an id until it's saved

@element = Element.new(params[:element])

@element.page_id = @page.id

if @element.save      flash[:notice] = '{@element.type.capitalize} was successfully created.'      flash[:inform] = true;      render :partial => show    end end

hth, Bill

Thanks Matt! I'll try that now...

Is this line really needed?   @page = Page.find( :last, :conditions => "title = #{@page.title}" )

@page already exists and should respond to @page.id and you will save a search on the database.

--ABS

Matt Beedle wrote:

Both work -- Thanks!