Newbie Q: How to find the user that the question belongs_to

I have a User and a Question model, User has_many questions and Question belongs_to user.

On my question show page, I show a question, along with the name of the user who's asking the question.

Everything seems to be working fine, but my controller looks like this:

questions_controller.rb . . . def show   @question = Question.find(params[:id])   @user = User.find(@question.user_id) end

I know rails must have a less messy way to figure out which user the question belongs to. I've read that using something like question.user would give me what I need, but I can't figure out how to implement it in my controller.

Sorry for the simple question, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

@user = @question.user but in fact there is no need to do that in the controller. In the view just use @question.user.name or whatever it is. That assumes that every question will have a user, if there is any chance that a question will not have a user then @question.user.name would fail as user would be nil, so you would have to cope with that.

Since you are asking the question I suggest that you work through a good tutorial which would give the basics of rails. railstutorial.org is good and is free to use online.

Colin

I guess you are looking for this or probably i misunderstood your question

def show @question = Question.find(params[:id]) @user = @question.user end

Hai!

This tutorials is help for you …

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/association_basics.html

by bdeveloper01