New rails site...

Just thought I’d give everyone a big heads up to the newest Rails site launched today by us - http://www.edeals.com

It’s a social shopping site that helps you get the best deals on products, travel, and auctions. Lots of Web 2.0 goodness including RSS feeds, multiple site search, and AJAX goodness.

The back-end was a real feat, which includes daily processing of about 1gig of XML/CSV data!

Check it out and let us know what you think.

Looks nice!

congrats, it looks sweet. but i searched for ipod in the auctions section and it took 1 minute to get the data. so i said to myself that you retrieved data each time from ebay . but then you said you process 1G xml daily? isn’that 1G processing useless if you take all data from ebay each time.

Sweet! Found a 17" macbook pro for $2410 using your site. Thanks!

Depends on the data feed :wink:

The eBay/Overstock auctions search actually grabs XML on the fly, unless a similar search has been run in the last 30 minutes (then the items are cached in the db). This allows you to sort through all auctions, eBay, Overstock, and soon Yahoo! to get the lowest price between all 3.

The ~1G XML/CSV actually come from our deal partners of which I think we have about 5. Those are crunched/put into the admin panel to be approved for the deals section of the site…

I found a bug.

I just 5 minutes accidentally typed request on Cyrillic and it jumped to exception page. check your production.log.

All the Best! Sergey.

subimage interactive wrote:

Not sure what you mean. You searched for ‘cyrillic’ and it errored out?

He means he typed in a search in the cyrillic font.

I just 5 minutes accidentally typed request on Cyrillic and it jumped to exception page. check your production.log.

I'm always doing that because my wife doesn't reset the language when she is done with the computer. Just the other day I came home to find Russian my default language in gmail.

Not really sure how to fix that one… :stuck_out_tongue: Any pointers?