Nested Resource with two different parent controllers

I'm trying to figure out how to created nested resources for a controller that can have two different "parent" controllers. For example:

Take the following models: - Business - Event - Comment (business_id, event_id, etc....

A Comment can be associated with either a business or an event. An event can be associated with a business, but does not have to be.

I can obviously set up the standard REST routes for a Comment. but I'd like to setup nested resources but can't figure out how to get it to work for both an Event and a Business.

Ideally, I'd like the following routes:

/events/10/comments /events/10/comments/new /events/10/comments/2

/businesses/23/comments /businesses/23/comments/new /businesses/23/comments/2

Can this be accomplished with just one Comments controller? If so, how do you set it up? As well, I'd like some fields on the Comments[new| edit] form to change depending on whether it's being created inside a business or inside an event.

I though about creating two additional controllers that subclass off of Controller and calling them BusinessComments and EventsComments, but this doesn't seem like a Rails-way of doing it.

(Note that I can easily change my db schema if there is a better way to model these relationships.)

Thanks for any help, Sincerely, Kenny

I may be wrong, but I think that this is the Rails way to do it. Doing otherwise would lead to an overly complex controller which needs to differentiate the urls.

I think you want to set up the routing something like this:

map.resources :events do | event |   event.resources :comments, :controller => :event_comments end

map.resources :businesses do | business |   business.resources :comments, :controller => :business_comments end

Of course, I could be wrong.

Best to checkout the resource_controller plugin. It deals with exactly what you are trying to do:

http://jamesgolick.com/resource_controller/rdoc/index.html

See Polymorphic Resources.

HTH, Nicholas