Nested Models not working

Urgghhh - Newbie help needed to stop me giving up on Rails.

I have 3 nested models. Recipe->RecipeParts->RecipeIngredients (to the ingredients index so maybe 4 levels)

class Recipe < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :recipe_parts   accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe_parts

class RecipePart < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :recipe   has_many :recipe_ingredients   has_many :ingredients, :through => :recipe_ingredients   accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe

class RecipeIngredient < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :recipe_part   belongs_to :ingredient

I'm trying to write an edit page for Recipe that includes a list of RecipeParts - and within that a list of RecipeIngredients (each as a select list) <h1>Editing recipe</h1>

<% form_for(@recipe) do |recipe_form| %>

<% recipe_form.fields_for :recipe_parts do |recipe_part_form| %>       <% recipe_part_form.fields_for :recipe_ingredients do |rcp_ing| %>                <p><%= rcp_ing.collection_select( :name, @ing_list_for_select,:id, :name) %></p>

<% end %>      <p><%= recipe_part_form.text_field :title %></p>      <p><%= recipe_part_form.text_field :description %></p>   <% end %>   <%= link_to "Add Part", {:controller => "recipes",:action => "add_recipe_part", :id => @recipe.id} %>   <%= recipe_form.submit "Update" %> <% end %> <%= link_to 'Show', @recipe %> | <%= link_to 'Back', recipes_path %>

The multiple RecipeParts list correctly, but within each part I get 1 selection for the ingredients only, despite the data having a mixture of 0-3 ingredients for the various parts.

So - my recipe_part_form.fields_for line doesn't seem to be iterating over the recipe_ingredients properly , and I can't work out why - I think I'm using the identical structure that I did for the RecipeParts - which works fine. Secondly - the collection_select isn't giving me a correct Selected item - but this could be due to the first problem perhaps.

Sorry if the post is too long/stupid/wrong but Rails/Ruby is proving to be (BY FAR) the hardest and most obtuse environment I've tried learning in almost 30 years of programming. After almost 3 months of online tutorials,books, reading forums etc and experimentation I can't understand just how little I can get working in Rails.

Ian

Urgghhh - Newbie help needed to stop me giving up on Rails.

I have 3 nested models. Recipe->RecipeParts->RecipeIngredients (to the ingredients index so maybe 4 levels)

class Recipe < ActiveRecord::Base has_many :recipe_parts accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe_parts

class RecipePart < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :recipe has_many :recipe_ingredients has_many :ingredients, :through => :recipe_ingredients accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe

Is that what you meant? Should it be accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe_ingredients?

Colin

> class Recipe < ActiveRecord::Base > has_many :recipe_parts > accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe_parts

> class RecipePart < ActiveRecord::Base > belongs_to :recipe > has_many :recipe_ingredients > has_many :ingredients, :through => :recipe_ingredients > accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe

Is that what you meant? Should it be accepts_nested_attributes_for :recipe_ingredients?

Colin

Yes it should be ....for :recipe_ingredients Thank you. I guess I haven't got to grips with what accept_nested_attributes_for was doing, or on which side of the relationship it's supposed to go since I had it on both sides.

So - with the first problem solved it took me 30 seconds to solve the 2nd one - finally I don't feel entirely stupid.

Thanks Colin. Ian