need pdf gen which is support to Asian languages

which PDF plug-in is support to Asian languages? i tried prawn PDF::writer both of those dosen't workout for me. any idea??

-nirosh-

nirosh wrote:

which PDF plug-in is support to Asian languages? i tried prawn PDF::writer both of those dosen't workout for me. any idea??

Prawn should support UTF-8 text. It wouldn't do font fallback last time I tried, though, so you need to select a font that actually contains the characters you want.

-nirosh-

Best,

i tried so many time but didn't get the proper output yet

-nirosh-

PrinceXML will do it, but it’s quite expensive (great product with excellent support though).

While Prawn does support UTF-8, it doesn't mean you can print all Asian characters.

To print Asian characters you'll need to have a font (a TTF file if I remember it correctly) that supports them and use that with Prawn, I don't think the built in fonts support Asian characters.

i integrate the google indic in my app. So which font i have to use to print those characters in prawn. i almost stuck here.

Mark Kremer wrote:

While Prawn does support UTF-8, it doesn't mean you can print all Asian characters.

Yes it does, and you even go on to explain how.

To print Asian characters you'll need to have a font (a TTF file if I remember it correctly) that supports them and use that with Prawn, I don't think the built in fonts support Asian characters.

If that's so, it's simply a matter of finding an appropriate font. There are lists on the Web of which fonts contain which characters. Alan Wood maintains a site with that info and more, though I'm not sure it's up to date. In any case, there are lots of suitable fonts.

My previous response was incomplete, let me elaborate.

While Unicode supports a lot of Asian characters it does not support all Asian characters (they're working on it). You can read a bit about it on Wikipedia on Unicode - Wikipedia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode\#Issues, and you can read about it on unicode.org on these FAQs: FAQ - Chinese and Japanese and FAQ - Indic Scripts and Languages

Yehuda Katz also wrote a very informative article on encodings in Ruby: Encodings, Unabridged

I hope this information is of some use to you.

Mark Kremer wrote:

My previous response was incomplete, let me elaborate.

While Unicode supports a lot of Asian characters it does not support all Asian characters (they're working on it).

It supports all Indic, East Asian, and Southeast Asian scripts. The only major issue is that there are some lingering questions about certain Chinese characters. However, it is perfectly feasible to use Unicode for any modern Asian script (including Chinese -- the remaining issues are not deal-breakers). I do not believe, then, that this is the OP's problem.