need help to understand form_tag vs form_for

Hi,

Need help to understand and differences when to use form_tag and form_for...

I have a simple app that runs on creating article and allow user to upload picture. I have no problem to have a form using form_for to create a form to allow user to create a new article and upload an image.

see below....new.rhtml

Hi,

Need help to understand and differences when to use form_tag and form_for...

The difference between the two is that form_tag just outputs a <form> tag, and form_for gives you a means of accessing some wrapped object.

For example, if you have a brand new photo, f.text_field :name would create a blank text field for you, with an element named such that it will be parsed nicely and made available in params[:photo] for you. If you're editing an existing photo, it would create a text field with the name filled in.

I have a simple app that runs on creating article and allow user to upload picture. I have no problem to have a form using form_for to create a form to allow user to create a new article and upload an image.

see below....new.rhtml

<h1>New photo</h1>

<h1>Upload your picture and enter a description !</h1> <p> <% form_for(:photo, @photo, :url=>{:action=>'create'}, :html=>{:multipart=>true}) do | form> %> Country : <%= form.text_field :country %><br/> City : <%= form.text_field :city %><br/> Title : <%= form.text_field :title %><br/> Description :<%= form.text_field :description %><br/> Upload : <%= form.file_field :image_file %><br/>

<%= submit_tag "Create" %> <% end %>

<%= link_to 'Back', :action => 'list' %>

But when i need user to update the form, allowing them to upload another new picture to overwrite the previous picture, i cant....the code is below

see below....edit.rhtml

<% form_for(:photo, :id => @photo.id, :url =>{:action =>'update'}, :html=>{:multipart=>true}) do |form| %>

<%= render :partial => 'form' %>   <%= submit_tag 'Edit' %> <% end %>

The problem here is that your call is wrong. The second argument to form_for is the object you want to wrap. You also passed the incorrect options, forgetting the photo id. It should look like:

form_for(:photo, @photo, :url => { :action => 'update', :id => @photo.id }, :html => { :multipart => true })

(you should consider looking at RESTful routing and map.resources, because then your options would be ":url => photo_url(@photo)" instead. You also get a lot of other benefits)

When you're using a partial, you can pass it local variables. This is useful in this case because you can pass it the form helper. You can then write the partial as if the helper exists, without worrying where it came from.

<%= render :partial => 'form', :locals => { :form => form } %>

===== code for _form.rthml

<%= error_messages_for 'photo' %>

<!--[form:photo]--> <p><label for="photo_country">Country</label><br/> <%= text_field 'photo', 'country' %></p>

<p><label for="photo_city">City</label><br/> <%= text_field 'photo', 'city' %></p>

<p><label for="photo_title">Title</label><br/> <%= text_field 'photo', 'title' %></p>

<p><label for="photo_description">Description</label><br/> <%= text_field 'photo', 'description' %></p>

<p><label for="photo_binary_data">Upload New Image</label><br/> <%= file_field 'photo', 'binary_data' %></p>

<!--[eoform:photo]-->

This can become

<%= form.text_field :country %> etc

===========

The edit.rhtml renders a html page where i am unable to capture the article id (photo.id) for me to update the info...

It need to have an example, whereby the edit.rhtml allow multipart =>true and at the same time capture the ActiveRecord id for update purposes...

Like I mentioned at the beginning, it looks like you just goofed the form_for call a bit.

hth

Pat

thanks Pat !

It works! I just changed the form_for according to your advise and it works ! Becos i am storing the image as binary file in the db...

I am slowly getting a hang of it.. thanks ! just one more thing :

(you should consider looking at RESTful routing and map.resources, because then your options would be ":url => photo_url(@photo)" instead. You also get a lot of other benefits)

Could you advise me where to learn up more info about RESTful routing and map.resources ? I need to understand deeper how i can take advantage of it.

thanks for your help Pat ! really appreciate it.