Need a clear view on this

Hi,

I would like to store possible values in a database, to make them available in a select list. The possible values consist of one ore more of the values between 1 and 100. So if I would put an example in an array, it could be [1,2,19,43,46,81,93]. I'd like to know what the best way to store this is. Is it okay to just put this as a comma- seperated value into my database? I also thought about binary coding, so 1,2,3 would be 111 (=7) and 1,3,4,6 would be 101101 (=45), which I think is nice, but could also become very heavy to dissect. However, the value would be much easier to validate in my model.

How would you approach this?

Thank you.

I would like to store possible values in a database, to make them available in a select list. The possible values consist of one ore more of the values between 1 and 100. So if I would put an example in an array, it could be [1,2,19,43,46,81,93]. I'd like to know what the best way to store this is. Is it okay to just put this as a comma- seperated value into my database? I also thought about binary coding, so 1,2,3 would be 111 (=7) and 1,3,4,6 would be 101101 (=45), which I think is nice, but could also become very heavy to dissect. However, the value would be much easier to validate in my model.

How would you approach this?

I suppose some of it would depend on the following:

- How many records will have this field? - How many numbers on average will be in the field? - How many inserts/selects?

I wouldn't go with a comma separated string, but I might consider using "serialize :my_field" and then simply stuffing the array into the database... all depends on the above I suppose.

I'd also look into why you don't want to make this a has_many association...

-philip

- How many records will have this field?

Not too many. For the moment about 90 records.

- How many numbers on average will be in the field?

At first it will probably only be 1, 2 and 3. It might grow later on however.

- How many inserts/selects?

After the configuration phase almost no inserts or updates, but quite some selects. But only one per action, I think.

I wouldn't go with a comma separated string, but I might consider
using "serialize :my_field" and then simply stuffing the array into
the database... all depends on the above I suppose.

Yes, that might be what I'm looking for. Thank you. Any pro's and cons for this?

I'd also look into why you don't want to make this a has_many
association...

I didn't want to overcomplicate things by creating another HABTM association. I do see your point though. I could easily add possibilities when needed in the backend without having to change anything in the application.

- How many records will have this field?

Not too many. For the moment about 90 records.

- How many numbers on average will be in the field?

At first it will probably only be 1, 2 and 3. It might grow later on however.

- How many inserts/selects?

After the configuration phase almost no inserts or updates, but quite some selects. But only one per action, I think.

I wouldn't go with a comma separated string, but I might consider using "serialize :my_field" and then simply stuffing the array into the database... all depends on the above I suppose.

Yes, that might be what I'm looking for. Thank you. Any pro's and cons for this?

Based on the above I'd serialize it and not worry about it until it
becomes a performance issue.

Only real issue is the data is YAML-ized in your database so if you
want to get it out using something that doesn't speak YAML you're
gonna be frustrated.