NameError, uninitialized constant States

I'm completely new to Ruby and Rails and could use some help resolving an issue. I have a list method that is supposed to show the titles and states(status) of requests, but I get an error from this piece of code:

<td><%= change.states.state %></td>

The error is:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:100:in `const_missing': uninitialized constant States

The states table contains an id and state field. The changes table holds a foreign key named state_id that references the states table.

I want this code to simply display the text from the state field for the specified change request.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

In your Change model, do you have belongs_to :state ? From what I can tell, this is what you should have if your changes table has a fk field called state_id which links over to the states table's id field. If these assumptions are correct, you would want to do <%= change.state.state %>

I do have an entry in my Change model, but it says belongs_to:states. I also have an entry in the state model saying has_many:changes. When I try to use <%= change.state.state %> I get a no method found error, which is why I was trying <%= change.states.state %>. I have other tables with similar foreign key relationships and they all seem to work fine.

I do have an entry in my Change model, but it says belongs_to:states. I also have an entry in the state model saying has_many:changes. When I try to use <%= change.state.state %> I get a no method found error, which is why I was trying <%= change.states.state %>. I have other tables with similar foreign key relationships and they all seem to work fine.

1) why do you post all your replies 3 times? :slight_smile:

2) it has to be: belongs_to :state

belongs_to are always singluar, has_many are always plural.

like you would read it out loud: a change belongs to a state, and a state has many changes

Hello Ryan,

I do have an entry in my Change model, but it says belongs_to:states. I also have an entry in the state model saying has_many:changes. When I try to use <%= change.state.state %> I get a no method found error, which is why I was trying <%= change.states.state %>.

Have you tried with belongs_to :state (singular) and <%= change.state.state %> ?

-- Jean-François.

1) I think there's a problem with my proxy server at work from where I'm posting.

2) The singular version worked. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the method parts.

Ryan

Merci Jean-François,

Ca a marché!

Merci Jean-François,

Ca a marché!