N:M find confusion

Hello!

I have an N:M mapping of tables. There are three tables involved:

constraints   id   name

people   id   first_name   last_name

constraints_people   constraint_id   person_id

Here is some Ruby code that I have created in order to make the mapping:

class Person < ActiveRecode::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many: constraints, :class_name => "Constraint" end

class Constraint < ActiveRecod::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many: people, :class_name => "Person" end

I would now like to get an array of people who have a constraint id of e.g. 1. I don't know how to get this result, I have now tried the following:

sql_result = Person.find_by_sql("select person_id from constraints_people where constraint_id = " + constraint.id.to_s) @people = Person.find(sql_result)

But the sql_result is an assocative array and I only want the IDs. Is it the correct way to do this with find_by_sql() or is there a better way to get the @people filled?

Thanks! Christoph

Hi Cristoph.

Having defined the habtm relationship between Constraints and People, you have several methods to navigate through them. In particular, you have a people method in the Contraint class, so you can do

contraint.people

to get the people associated to constraint. To go the other way and find the constraints for a given person

person.constraints

So, to get the people associated to constraint with ID 1 you just need to find the constraint by the id and ask it for its people

Constraint.find(1).people

In general, you wouldn't use find_by_sql but in special cases.

By the way, since you have named both tables (plural) and classes (singular) according to Ror standars you don't need to specify the :class_name param in the habtm declarations, you have the default.

Regards

ceicke@googlemail.com escribió:

ceicke@googlemail.com wrote:

Hello!

I have an N:M mapping of tables. There are three tables involved:

constraints   id   name

people   id   first_name   last_name

constraints_people   constraint_id   person_id

Here is some Ruby code that I have created in order to make the mapping:

class Person < ActiveRecode::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many: constraints, :class_name => "Constraint" end

class Constraint < ActiveRecod::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many: people, :class_name => "Person" end

I would now like to get an array of people who have a constraint id of e.g. 1. I don't know how to get this result, I have now tried the following:

sql_result = Person.find_by_sql("select person_id from constraints_people where constraint_id = " + constraint.id.to_s) @people = Person.find(sql_result)

But the sql_result is an assocative array and I only want the IDs. Is it the correct way to do this with find_by_sql() or is there a better way to get the @people filled?

All you need is

@people = constraint.people

given that you've found constraint using something like

constraint = Constraint.find(1)

Ouch.. hurts to see the beginners use find_by_sql and such. Poor php/java developers aren't used to the beauty of ruby =(

Read the beginners guides here: Peak Obsession