Mysql2::Error: SAVEPOINT active_record_1 does not exist

Hi,

I'm switching the database of a rails 3 app I have developed from postgres to mysql so that I can avail of amazon's rds. Before I make the change I have been running my test code using mysql on my dev machine with the mysql2 adaptor . My test code is throwing up some errors that I haven't quite been able to get to the bottom of yet. Basically I have a model that is used to store large xml uploads. My test code looks something like this

test "creates forest units all should be okay" do     file = File.new("test/files/lib/upload_sample.xml")     upload = XmlUpload.create(:xml_contents => contents = file.read)     .....     ..... end

The create line is throwing up the following error

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: Mysql2::Error: SAVEPOINT active_record_1 does not exist: ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT active_record_1     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:202:in `rescue in log'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:194:in `log'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/mysql2-0.2.6/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql2_adapter.rb:314:in `execute'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/mysql2-0.2.6/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql2_adapter.rb:358:in `rollback_to_savepoint'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb: 149:in `rescue in transaction'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb: 127:in `transaction'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:204:in `transaction'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:287:in `with_transaction_returning_status'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:237:in `block in save'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:248:in `rollback_active_record_state!'     /Users/conor/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:236:in `save'     /Users/conor/Documents/treeMetrics/TreeMetricsFrontEnd/test/unit/ xml_upload_test.rb:42:in `block in <class:XmlUploadTest>'

I have been storing the file contents in a text field. I realise that I should seriously look at storing the files in s3 but this is the setup that I have at the moment. In postgres everything worked fine but in order to get things to work with mysql I had to set the :limit variable so that LONGTEXT was used instead of the standard text field. The files can be quite large but when I test using small files there are no problems

I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely but I suspect that the problem may be caused by the database connection being dropped based on the errors thrown up when I try uploading a file in the development mode.

Mysql2::Error: MySQL server has gone away: INSERT INTO `xml_uploads` ...................

My database.yaml settings are the following

development:      adapter: mysql2      encoding: utf8      reconnect: true      database: app_dev      username: username      password: password      host: localhost

test:      adapter: mysql2      encoding: utf8      reconnect: true      database: app_test      username: username      password: password      host: localhost

Does anyone have any clues as to what the problem is and how it can fixed? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Conor