MySQL Schema Error

I've been stuck on this from the past 2-3 days. I deleted the folder, did everything right from the start, but it's still showing the error.

I've been following this (=>Ruby on Rails 2.1 - Migrations) tutorial to at least get one rails app working but to no avail.

This is the error I get when I enter the command rake db:migrate:

rake aborted! Mysql::Error: #42000Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX 'unique_schema_migrations' ON 'schema_migrations' <'version'>

Hi,

Fusi Eon wrote:

Also, is there any way I can set MySQL as the default database rather than sqlite3

You can specify mysql, but not set it as the default afaik.

instead of entering the command 'rails -d sql library' wheneve i want to create an app with mysql as database ?

I don't think I've ever seen that command used to create a Rails app. The one I know about that causes Rails to use MySQL instead of sqlite is:

rails -d mysql your_app_name

HTH, Bill

Bill Walton wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen that command used to create a Rails app. The one I know about that causes Rails to use MySQL instead of sqlite is:

rails -d mysql your_app_name

Yep. Sorry. That's what I meant to write. The 'm' alphabet on the keyboard is giving me trouble.

What about the MySQL error?

Fusi Eon wrote:

What about the MySQL error?

rake aborted! Mysql::Error: #42000Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX 'unique_schema_migrations' ON 'schema_migrations' <'version'>

hmm

what version of MySQL do you have? works fine on mine, should just be running SQL equivalent to;

CREATE TABLE `schema_migrations` (   `version` varchar(255) NOT NULL,   UNIQUE KEY `unique_schema_migrations` (`version`) ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

does that work directly in your MySQL command client?

The problem is that MySQL has a limit of 767 bytes on the length of columns used for keys. In UTF8 a varchar(255) consumes 1080 bytes. The fix is to have the indexing done on a the first part of the key, by limiting the key to so (say) the first 100 characters, by:

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX `unique_schema_migrations` ON `schema_migrations` (`version` (100) )

In ActiveRecord 2.1.0 the code which creates the index on the schema_migrations table is in connection_adapters/abstract/schema_statements.rb on line 317. This calls the "add_index" method defined on line 255. The actual sql statement used to create the index is on line 266. Change this to:

execute "CREATE #{index_type} INDEX #{quote_column_name(index_name)} ON #{quote_table_name(table_name)} (#{quoted_column_names} (100) )"

ie: add the "(100)" after the column_name, and this will instruct MySQL to only build the index on the first 100 characters of this column, well under the 767 byte limit.

Matthew Rudy Jacobs wrote:

Jon Smillie wrote:

The problem is that MySQL has a limit of 767 bytes on the length of columns used for keys. In UTF8 a varchar(255) consumes 1080 bytes. The fix is to have the indexing done on a the first part of the key, by limiting the key to so (say) the first 100 characters, by:

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX `unique_schema_migrations` ON `schema_migrations` (`version` (100) )

if that were the case, and MySQL required that to be set explicitly, then surely everyone using rails and utf8 would have this problem.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

CREATE TABLE `schema_migrations` ( `version` varchar(255) NOT

NULL, UNIQUE KEY `unique_schema_migrations` (`version`) ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.04 sec)

Jon Smillie wrote:

By way of clarification - I'm using Rails 2.1 and MySQL 6.0.4-alpha for Win32.

On Jul 1, 6:40 pm, Matthew Rudy Jacobs <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

Aah... MySQL 6 maybe that's the issue, more rigid indexing maybe...

Worth some investigating,

you are using InnoDB and not crazy Falcon?

cos it'd be poo if rails doesnt work with mysql 5.1 / 6.0

Hi guys,

was having trouble with the same issue using Ruby on Rails and thus used Jon Smillie's idea as well and stuff.. but nothing worked. I don't know this problem is how old but since I came to this forum so can someone else therefore here is the detail that I found out:

a. Other than the remedy Jon suggested everything else in his email is true. b. Problem exists for UTF 8 (mostly) because every letter is translated in 3 bytes. Therefore, varchar(255) translate to 765 bytes, which is okay. REMEDY c. If any column in any table of your database has some key set on it and you have specified the size of that column more than 255 then you will get this error. The easiest is to keep that size within that limit i.e. make it 255.

I was having error because 'email' column of one of my table had the length/size set to 400 characters

email varchar(400) --> this was creating problem

I changed this to

email varchar(255) --> this was the remedy.

thanks Afras

Just to add, sadly enough the solution I wrote was true only for MySQL version 5.0.6+ :frowning: 'cos on MySQL 6.0 it's still a problem.

Afrasyab Bashir wrote:

Just to add, sadly enough the solution I wrote was true only for MySQL version 5.0.6+ :frowning: 'cos on MySQL 6.0 it's still a problem.

On Jul 2, 10:42�am, Matthew Rudy Jacobs <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

By now, MySQL 6.0.7 and Rails 2.1.2 still have the problem.

Mysql::Error: #42000Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX `unique_schema_migrations` ON `schema_migrations` (`version`)

Which one should fix the problem? MySQL or Rails team? This problem blocks Rails' test. :frowning:

And still a problem today wih rails 2.2.2...

Arun Gupta wrote: