MySQL gem segfault

I'm encountering odd behavior. I'm not quite sure where to post this so I will try the rails list first. Here is the scenario:

I have MySQL 5.0.51 installed on a Windows 2003 Server machine. I have Rails 2.0.2 and Ruby 1.8.6 on the same machine. I have installed the 2.7.3 mysql gem. My rails server will start up just fine. I can query the database and load pages just fine. When I come back to work the next morning and try to query the app it dies with a segfault. The error message complains about line 471 in the mysql.rb

Up until now development was being done on an XP machine using Postgres. I just started migration to the new platform and testing last week. I'm personally not a fan of MySQL but it looks like that might be a necessity.

Memory Leak? Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have this same setup working? Suggestions?

Glen wrote:

I'm encountering odd behavior. I'm not quite sure where to post this so I will try the rails list first. Here is the scenario:

I have MySQL 5.0.51 installed on a Windows 2003 Server machine. I have Rails 2.0.2 and Ruby 1.8.6 on the same machine. I have installed the 2.7.3 mysql gem. My rails server will start up just fine. I can query the database and load pages just fine. When I come back to work the next morning and try to query the app it dies with a segfault. The error message complains about line 471 in the mysql.rb

Up until now development was being done on an XP machine using Postgres. I just started migration to the new platform and testing last week. I'm personally not a fan of MySQL but it looks like that might be a necessity.

Memory Leak? Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have this same setup working? Suggestions?

Seems to work for me similar setup. What is on line 471? One thing to be aware of is dropped connections every 6 hours or so, though you can overcome that and it's usually graceful [google for rails restart mysql connection might help]

I was mistaken it is complaining about line 471 in mysql_adapter.rb:

@connection.real_connect(*@connection_options)

This line is in the connect method.

I found people suggesting that ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout should be changed but they neglected to say where would be the best place to do that. I would assume environment.rb but am not positive.

Broken default behavior seems odd is this a problem with MySQL or the gem?