"mysql" 2.7.3 gem install for Windows appears incomplete

When I install the 2.7.3 "mysql" gem on Windows XP (trying to prepare for the requirement to use the mysql gem in Rails 2.2.2) by using:

gem install mysql

I get a mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32 directory under gems, but underneath that, only a docs directory, an ext directory, and README, Rakefile and .require_paths.

I then cannot do any connecting to my MySQL databases.

Shouldn't there be a "lib" directory under the mysql gem directory?

Wes

Hi Wes,

Did you see anything in the ext directory?

Rick

Rick wrote:

Hi Wes,

Did you see anything in the ext directory?

Rick

On Nov 25, 10:30�am, Wes Gamble <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Yes. I see the following files:

extconf.rb mysql.c.in mysql.c.in.patch mysql.so test.rb

Wes

Can you determine what dates are associated with the files? In particular, was mysql.so created when you did the "gem install..."?

Also, the test.rb can be usefull. Assuming you have a mysql database named "testDB" that is owned by user "test" who's mysql password is "test", the following command:

ruby ./test.rb -- localhost test test testDB

will run an array of tests on your mysql ruby access. They should ALL pass.

Rick

.require_paths is officially disparaged :stuck_out_tongue:

Rick wrote:

Can you determine what dates are associated with the files? In particular, was mysql.so created when you did the "gem install..."?

Also, the test.rb can be usefull. Assuming you have a mysql database named "testDB" that is owned by user "test" who's mysql password is "test", the following command:

will run an array of tests on your mysql ruby access. They should ALL pass.

Rick

On Nov 26, 10:05�pm, Wes Gamble <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Rick, here's what I get when I run the test.rb:

C:\Development\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32\ext>ruby test .rb -- localhost test test testDB Loaded suite test Started .........C:/Development/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:3 1: [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Hello Matthew,

So, was your mysql gem compiled during the install sequence? Is the creation date for mysql.so newer than for the other files?

If that's a definite "can't tell" or just to be sure, uninstall the gem and reinstall with the --verbose flag.

gem uninstall mysql --version=2.8   gem install mysql --verbose

This should give you the full compilation sequence - very useful stuff if you're interested in knowing how it's compiled.

Rick

Rick wrote:

I get this when I run test.rb:

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32\ext>ruby test.rb -- local host test test testDB Loaded suite test Started .FE..C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/assertions.rb:497: [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Wes

Hey Wes,

Are you and Matthew Phillips the same person? Here's the answer that went to him to exactly the same email:

So, was your mysql gem compiled during the install sequence? Is the creation date for mysql.so newer than for the other files?

If that's a definite "can't tell" or just to be sure, uninstall the gem and reinstall with the --verbose flag.

gem uninstall mysql --version=2.8   gem install mysql --verbose

This should give you the full compilation sequence - very useful stuff if you're interested in knowing how it's compiled.

Rick

Rick wrote:

I'm under the assumption that the mysql gem for Windows is precompiled, like all of the other gems for Windows (generally speaking), so there isn't really a compilation step.

Here's the output from the --verbose run. I notice that it can't find the

H:\>gem install mysql --verbose HEAD 200 OK: http://gems.rubyforge.org/latest_specs.4.8 GET 200 OK: http://gems.rubyforge.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz Installing gem mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32 Downloading gem mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32.gem GET 302 Found: http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32.gem GET 404 Not Found: http://gems.rubyforge.vm.bytemark.co.uk/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86- mswin32.gem Failed, downloading gem mysql-2.7.3-mswin32.gem GET 302 Found: http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/mysql-2.7.3-mswin32.gem GET 200 OK: http://gemmirror.xaop.net/gems/mysql-2.7.3-mswin32.gem C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/ext/mysql.so C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/ext/extconf.rb C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/ext/mysql.c.in C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/ext/mysql.c.in.patch C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/ext/test.rb C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/README C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/Rakefile C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/docs/README.html Successfully installed mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32 1 gem installed Installing ri documentation for mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32... Installing RDoc documentation for mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32... ERROR: While generating documentation for mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32 ... MESSAGE: Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="<!-- $Id: README.html, v 1.20 2006-12-20 05:31:52 tommy Exp $ -->" ... RDOC args: --op C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32/rdoc - -exclude ext --main README --quiet ext README docs/README.html (continuing with the rest of the installation)

The test.rb results are the same.

Wes

Ok Wes,

So it looks like you are downloading a pre-compiled gem.

I'm not sure how much of this you understand but the mysql gem is different from most ruby gems in that it is a compiled interface implements a ruby interface to the mysqlclient API.

My guess is that the mysql....so file that ships with your gem is not correct for your system. I'm a little fuzzy here on the finer points of the mswin32 and 64 bit environments but I do know that there are several ways to get a miss-match.

On my system, Mac OS X, I start from the source and compile the gem as part of the install step. This reduces the likelyhood of a miss- matched executable but causes more work preparing for the compile. It's the preparation part that appeared to be broken for me but I've figured out how to fix that and built a functioning gem.

Do you have a c compiler on your system? If so, have you ever used it and do you want to give compiling your gem a shot?

Rick

My main OS is Mac OS X.

Actually, getting the MySQL gem to install on Mac OS X was no mean fit given the 32/64 bit issues with the version of Ruby that ships with OS X. But I did get that working the other day.

I'm comfortable compiling stuff on OS X.

This exercise was to set up my Windows XP VM - to be honest, I can't even remember why I was even bothering to try to install the mysql gem on my Windows VM.

I'm not going to bother moving forward on it unless I need it.

Thanks for the help though.

Wes

Right, I gave up on what ships with Mac and just built everything fresh in /opt/local. That's a good place to put your precious stuff BTW because a reinstall or major upgrade of OSX will trash /usr/local.

later Rick

I remember now why I was trying to get this to work.

Because the built-in support for MySQL has been pulled out of Rails 2.2, I was just trying to anticipate any 2.2 projects that I needed to run/handle on Windows.

Wes

Supraja wrote:

Dear Wes,

I saw that you had posted on "mysql" 2.7.3 gem install for Windows issue. I noticed you said you probably wouldn't pursue it, but I was wondering if you had any success since then?

No, still haven't resolved it. Hoping that the next release of the mysql gem for Windows will work better.

WG

Yeah, still broken here.

It might be documentation issue (I'm running into it too)

Someone suggested. gem install mysql --no-rdoc --no-ri

Might be one more step too...

Update: Found this solution on ruby forum:

Copy the file libmysql.dll from mysql/bin to ruby/bin.

It worked for me. Environment starts and app executes properly in 2.2.2 now. Still get the rdoc error when installing mysql, but it doesn't seem to affect the environment.

The solution I found for this problem (the [BUG] Segmentation fault error) was to install Mysql 5.0.67 rather than the latest stable version of Mysql 5.1.30.

Wes Gamble wrote:

Dave Min wrote:

The solution I found for this problem (the [BUG] Segmentation fault error) was to install Mysql 5.0.67 rather than the latest stable version of Mysql 5.1.30.

Wes Gamble wrote:

Rick wrote:

I get this when I run test.rb:

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mysql-2.7.3-x86-mswin32\ext>ruby test.rb -- local host test test testDB Loaded suite test Started .FE..C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/assertions.rb:497: [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [i386-mswin32]

Wes

I think the problem is the client version of libmysql.dll . If ruby is using libmysql.dll 5.1.X from %PATH% or from <ruby>\bin you get this error. The solution is to replace this library with libmysql.dll 5.0.X. I got mine from php installation and everything start running fine.

Saludos,

Jaime This is a hack to avoid reinstalling the server again.