MVC architecture of ROR

Hi,    As the ROR follows MVC architecture, then Is it good practice to write queries inside controller? If yes then, For what purpose we are using model?

Thanks & Regards, Tushar

As the ROR follows MVC architecture, then Is it good practice to write queries inside controller? If yes then, For what purpose we are using model?

I've always tried to put as much of the query logic into the model itself (google for fat model skinny controller).

I find I use named scopes a lot now so that in my controllers I can do things like:

@posts = Post.approved.recent

and keep things nice and readable and my model would look something like:

named_scope :approved, :conditions => {:is_approved => true}, :order => 'created_at DESC'    named_scope :recent, :order => 'created_at DESC', :limit => 5

The duplicated :order's is because I might not necessarily chain the scopes...

-philip

Philip Hallstrom wrote:

As the ROR follows MVC architecture, then Is it good practice to write queries inside controller? If yes then, For what purpose we are using model?

I've always tried to put as much of the query logic into the model itself (google for fat model skinny controller).

I find I use named scopes a lot now so that in my controllers I can do things like:

named_scope :approved, :conditions => {:is_approved => true}, :order => 'created_at DESC'    named_scope :recent, :order => 'created_at DESC', :limit => 5

-philip

HI,    I am agree with this that, our model will look like this: named_scope :approved, :conditions => {:is_approved =>

true}, :order => 'created_at DESC'

But, each time we are not able to find the records by using modelling at all. Sometimes we have to write the complex query for 2 or 3 tables, then such type of queries where should I write? Thanks, Tushar

named_scope :approved, :conditions => {:is_approved => true}, :order => 'created_at DESC'   named_scope :recent, :order => 'created_at DESC', :limit => 5

-philip

HI,   I am agree with this that, our model will look like this: named_scope :approved, :conditions => {:is_approved =>

true}, :order => 'created_at DESC'

But, each time we are not able to find the records by using modelling at all. Sometimes we have to write the complex query for 2 or 3 tables, then such type of queries where should I write?

Good point. Well, if it's the complexity is due to the nature of the action of the controller (some advanced search form say) then putting it in the controller makes sense as you'd never call it from anywhere else.

I'm partly guessing here since I don't know your app, but putting it in the controller makes sense in that case.

But if you find yourself making that same query in a variety of places it should find it's way into a model somewhere... just for code reuse at a minimum.

-philip

Hi,

Jamis Buck nailed it in his post: http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/10/18/skinny-controller-fat-model.

Kind regards

Nicolai