Multiple kind of relationships, Howto ?

Hi there,

I am newbie on RoR and I am wondering how to solve the following situation using "has_x" and "belongs_to" (and eventually polymorphism if needed).

Let say that I have a Salesman table containing salesmen :slight_smile:

Let say that I have a Customer table containing customers information _and_ a prefered Salesman (salesman_id)

Let say that I have an Order table, orders are linked to customers (the order "belongs to" a customer) and to salesmen (the order have been managed by a particular salesman (salesman_id) which is not necessary the customer prefered salesman).

Could someone explain me how to declare models and tables (keys) so that those relationships are working ?

Many thanks for your help!

Georges

class Salesman > ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :primary_customers, :class_name => 'Customer', :foreign_key => 'preferred_salesman_id'   has_many :orders   has_many :customers, :through => :orders end

Table name: salesmen Columns: id

class Customer > ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :orders   belongs_to :preferred_salesman, :class_name => 'Salesman', :foreign_key => 'preferred_salesman_id'   has_many :salesmen, :through => :orders end

Table name: customers Columns: id, perferred_salesman_id

class Order > ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :salesman   belongs_to :customer end

Table name: orders columns: id, salesman_id, customer_id

c = Customer.find(1) c.salesmen # => array of all salesmen affiliated with any order c.order[0].salesman # => salesman affiliated with a specific order c.preferred_salesman # => the guy that cuts the best deals

s = Salesman.find(1) s.primary_customers # => all customers for whom the salesman has completely pulled the wool over their eyes s.customers # => all customers affliated with any order s.orders[0].customer # => customer associated with a specific order

Regards, Ryan

Ryan, that's a great help! Thanks!

Regards,

Georges