Multiple collection selects of same data types in view?

Summary of what I'd like to accomplish:

I'm performing a side-by-side comparison of two table objects and their data housed in multiple tables. The model associations are as sumarized:

Team (has_many (of all other data tables) Other Data (belongs_to (team)

It's not written this way, just easier to summarize.

I want to have two dropdowns populating the team names from the teams table with ID being the key during form submission for the other table data being retrieved.

When the data is retrieved, I want to render the data through a partial.

Here's what I have as a generic start point:

Routes file

map.virtual_matchups '/virtual_matchups', :controller => 'teams', :action => 'virtual_matchups'

Teams Controller

def virtual_matchups   @teamnames = Team.find(:all, :order => "name ASC")   @teamsearch = ... ? ...

render :partial => 'datareturned'

respond_to do |format|     format.html # index.html.erb     format.xml { render :xml => @teams }   end end

virtual_matchups.html.erb file

<div class="centerAlign">   <ul class="leftAlign">     <%= collection_select(:team, :id, @teamnames, :id, :name, options ={:prompt => "- Select Team One"}, :class =>"teamselect") %>     <%= collection_select(:team, :id, @teamnames, :id, :name, options ={:prompt => "- Select Team Two"}, :class =>"teamselect") %>   </ul> </div>

I don't have the form for in, nor do I have the submit button. I need to understand and have the following questions answered:

1. How do I designate each collection_select so that when I perform my submit, the search knows which data to pull for each team?

2. Is my route setup correctly? Or, should I be using something similar to: map.resources :teams, :collection => {:virtual_matchups => :get}

3. My @teamsearch instance variable is currently not setup because I'm not sure what params I will be sending to the model, or how to send it to multiple models the correct way. Because I'm pulling data from approx. 37 different tables for two separate teams, I'd like to do it properly and eagerly load if possible. What should I do?

4. I have not setup my datareturned partial yet because again, I'm unsure of what I need to do first to pull the data so if there's something special I should do here, or should keep in mind when creating it, please let me know?

Any help or advice would be appreciated on this. I've tried spending a few days researching this on my own but I can't seem to find anything that uses a side-by-side comparison example, nor at the same time pulling data from multiple models. As I'm a bit stumped, I could use some assistance getting through this bit.

Thanks.

Okay, here's my updated code thus far:

http://pastie.org/559478

I moved all of this to a virtuals controller so I wouldn't get confused during code creation.

It will give you a small idea of what I'm trying to do.

The current stuck point is that no data is returned and no errors. It could be due to associations or how my variables are being used - I'm just not sure.

Virtuals controller "has no" association with anything. It's just a controller trying to pull data using the team model which is associated with everything.

Here are the transitions:

http://localhost:3000/virtual_matchups

Shows a page with two dropdown boxes and a compare button. All 120 teams are populated in each dropdown.

When clicking compare after selecting two teams:

URL shows:

http://localhost:3000/virtuals?teamone=48&teamtwo=97&commit=Compare

which is the url of the virtuals controller path and you can see by the URL the designator for each team ID is separated into two distinctly different names (teamone and teamtwo).

Look at the pastie code and let me know what you believe I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

http://pastie.org/559478

Updated..

I got most of it figured out now I think..

I added the associations in for virtual and team and removed the old array in virtual model, and further changed the way index.html was formatted and returning results.

With this new code, I'm at least able to return two IDs and two team names for the search sent.