Monkey Patching and acts_as_indexed

Hi, I've monkey patched ActiveRecord::Base in a way so that every model class knows which attributes are "important".

So in my model I can now do sth like this:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   attribute_order :username, :password, :name, :mailaddress, :usergroup, :created_at   acts_as_indexed :fields => self.sorted_attributes end

The monkey-patch looks like this:

class ActiveRecord::Base

def self.attribute_order(*values)     @_sorted_attributes =     values.collect do |v|       @_sorted_attributes.push(v)     end   end

def self.sorted_attributes     if defined? @_sorted_attributes       @_sorted_attributes     else       self.attribute_names.map do |a|         a.to_sym       end     end   end end

Now I'd like to add the acts_as_indexed method to ALL my models by adding it into the monkey-patch:

class ActiveRecord::Base   acts_as_indexed :fields => self.sorted_attributes   ... end

This doesn't work as the sorted attributes don't seem to exist when the Class is Inheriting from ActiveRecord::Base, and the acts_as_indexed is called too early. How could I delay the call of acts_as_indexed until the class has been initialized? putting it into attribute_order doesn't help, because this method must not be called by every model.

Wolfgang