mongrel and webrick crashing after Fedora update to ruby - 1.8.6.230-1

Hi,

Fedora updates have just been added to bring Ruby up to version 1.8.6.230-1 . And now both mongrel and webrick crash as soon as a request is received. In both rails 2.0.2 and 2.1.0.

Just wondering if anyone else is having any problems. I will post to the Fedora forum in case they have issued a corrupt update.

I have removed and re-installed ruby and rails to no avail.

The errors are reported by glibc. Rails 2.0.2 gives an invalid pointer error and for Rails 2.1.0 I get ruby double free or corruption.

In case anyone else is about to apply Fedora updates - proceed with caution!

I guess the only option now is to revert to the earlier version of Ruby - whatever that my turn out to be.

If anyone has any other ideas - I would be grateful

Tonypm

Hi,

Fedora updates have just been added to bring Ruby up to version 1.8.6.230-1 . And now both mongrel and webrick crash as soon as a request is received. In both rails 2.0.2 and 2.1.0.

Just wondering if anyone else is having any problems. I will post to the Fedora forum in case they have issued a corrupt update.

I have removed and re-installed ruby and rails to no avail.

The errors are reported by glibc. Rails 2.0.2 gives an invalid pointer error and for Rails 2.1.0 I get ruby double free or corruption.

1.8.6p230 is borked, there's been quite a todo about this (ruby's
fault, not fedora)

Fred

Thanks Fred - My apologies - I had looked on the Ruby site and didnt see anything there.

I assumed it would be a hot potato if it was a Ruby issue.

So I guess my only option is to re-install the earlier version. Don't suppose you have a link to anything on the Ruby site that might help.

Tonypm

Thanks Fred - My apologies - I had looked on the Ruby site and didnt see anything there.

I assumed it would be a hot potato if it was a Ruby issue.

So I guess my only option is to re-install the earlier version. Don't suppose you have a link to anything on the Ruby site that might help.

If you just chop off the end of the download links you'll get a folder
with all ruby versions

Fred

Once again Fred, thanks for your help. Re-installed previous version and now up and running again. Just need to remember where I'd got to in my app development - lol.

It is funny really, when I looked at the Fedora updates, I noticed the Ruby update in there and hesitated briefly - then thought oh well what the heck!! That'll teach me eh? At least it wasn't an update to my main servers.

PS. do you know if 1.8.7 is working ok with rails?

Cheers Tonypm

Once again Fred, thanks for your help. Re-installed previous version and now up and running again. Just need to remember where I'd got to in my app development - lol.

It is funny really, when I looked at the Fedora updates, I noticed the Ruby update in there and hesitated briefly - then thought oh well what the heck!! That'll teach me eh? At least it wasn't an update to my main servers.

PS. do you know if 1.8.7 is working ok with rails?

only with 2.1

Fred

I'm getting similar errors too:

*** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list *** Aborted *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: *** Aborted

Operating System: CentOS 4 Ruby version 1.8.6 (x86_64-linux) RubyGems version 1.2.0 Rails version 2.1.0 Active Record version 2.1.0 Action Pack version 2.1.0 Active Resource version 2.1.0 Action Mailer version 2.1.0 Active Support version 2.1.0 Application root /var/www/rails/cookbook Environment development Database adapter postgresql Database schema version 20080731205652

Anybody know what the problem is with this? It seems like it's crashing anytime I try a bad URL (as if exceptions aren't being properly handled)

I also followed this pretty closely to install: http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Rails+on+CentOS+4.3+with+Apache+and+FastCGI+Simply

But at some point I was also using Mongrel and Webrick (in another tutorial). Is there anyway to ditch the this way (uninstall or disable these?) and start the server without using Mongrel or Webrick?

Thanks,

Dave

Are you using 1.8.6p230? As stated above, that version is bust.

Fred

Ahhh... yes.

That's the one I have. I had read your response but I guess I glossed over a bit... and I suppose the meaning of the word "borked" didn't really register either. :slight_smile:

Somebody might want to re-write the first paragraph (on installing Ruby) at the rails download site: http://www.rubyonrails.org/down to suggest using 1.8.5 instead of 1.8.6 (the source link points directly to http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p230.tar.gz)

Dave