Module in Rails

Hi, I want to use module in Rails 3 I have module in /lib directory.

file name: my_module.rb Code of Module:

module MyModule def self.my_method loop do puts “I am started!!!” sleep 2 end end end

Now, I want to use this module in my rb file resides in app_root/daemon directory named myserver.rb

How can i use that?

Hi, I want to use module in Rails 3 I have module in /lib directory.

I’m going to assume by /lib you mean RAILS_ROOT/lib …

file name: my_module.rb Code of Module:

module MyModule def self.my_method loop do puts “I am started!!!”

sleep 2
  end
end 

end

Now, I want to use this module in my rb file resides in app_root/daemon directory named myserver.rb

How can i use that?

I’ll assume app_root == RAILS_ROOT. So, you created a “daemon” directory in the root of your rails app then and placed myserver.rb in it.

Okay, if you’ll be running it manually (not in the context of rails via rails runner) then your options are:

1. relative path for require statement in myserver.rb: require ‘…/lib/my_module’
  2. an “expand_path”-style relative require statement: require File.expand_path(‘…/…/lib/my_module’, FILE)
  3. update the load path then require: $:.unshift(File.expand_path(‘…/…/lib’, FILE) ; require ‘my_module’
  4. … many many variations on the above.

If you are running by using “rails runner daemon/myserver.rb” then the RAILS_ROOT/lib directory should already be in your load path. You can just: require ‘my_module’ and be fine.