module_eval and scope question

When trying to understand a piece of code from the Ruby-On-Rails framework, I found that I'm still lacking knowledge about scope issues in Ruby. Here is a stripped down version of the code I'm trying to understand (in case you happen to use Rails: This is from file scaffolding.rb):

module ActionController   module Scaffolding     ..     module ClassMethods       def scaffold(model_id, options = {})          ...          unless options[:suffix]           module_eval <<-"end_eval", __FILE__, __LINE__             def index               list             end           end_eval         end         ...      end   end end

The purpose of this code is to create at run-time the function 'index'. My question is: Why do I need 'module_eval' here? I understand that I can use module_eval to evaluate an expression in the context of a different class/module, for example

mymodule.module_eval <<"END"       def foo       end   END

would define foo in the context of mymodule. In the example code above, however, there is no SOMETHING.module_eval defined, so the scope would be ClassMethods anyway and, so I had thought, the author could have written simply:

module ActionController   module Scaffolding     ..     module ClassMethods       def scaffold(model_id, options = {})          ...          unless options[:suffix]             def index               list             end         end         ...      end   end end

Of course I'm pretty sure that there was some purpose in using module_eval here, though. Could anybody enlighten me why it is necessary, and why my simpler solution would not work?

I posted this question already in Ruby-Talk, and got the comment

"I believe the answer is that it's evaluated at run-time, so the module_eval refers to a different module, but I'm not sure about that. It could just be that the Rails guys screwed up or something."

which is not entirely convincingly to me. Maybe some Rails expert could either confirm that comment or propose a different answer?

Ronald

With the #module_eval, #index becomes an instance method of self (which would be the client code's controller class at this point).

Without the #module_eval, #index becomes an instance method of ClassMethods. Since this module is not #included in anything (it #extends a class, but is not #include-d in one), this does nothing useful.

Here's a concentrated version of what's going on. Give it a run and see if it clears things up.

module ClassMethods     def add_f       module_eval <<-EOS         def f           p self         end       EOS     end   end

class C     extend ClassMethods     add_f   end

p C.instance_methods.include?('f')   p ClassMethods.instance_methods.include?('f')

Regards, George.

With the #module_eval, #index becomes an instance method of self (which would be the client code's controller class at this point).

Without the #module_eval, #index becomes an instance method of ClassMethods. Since this module is not #included in anything (it #extends a class, but is not #include-d in one), this does nothing useful.

Thank you so much! This really clarifies it!!

Ronald