modify objectclass - Object class violation/Operations error

Summary:
Is there anyway that someone has figured out how to adding/removing
objectclasses to already existing entries using net-ldap 0.1.1?

Detail:
I am adding and deleting all sorts of ldap entries just fine. I can even
make new entries with objectclasses, but when I want
to remove an existing one or add another one I get 'object class
violation' or 'operations error'. I understand how objectclass and
schema rules apply. So if i tried to add just the objectclass w/o its
required attributes then i would get 'object class violation'.
I can remove/add objectclasses with softerra ldap administrator just
fine. I say this to prove out my ldap server is functioning fine.
Softerra has a special menu option for adding/removing
objectclasses to existing entries. This menu removes the dependency
attributes associated with the objectclasses as required per the schema.

The entry log from the ldap server when using softerra to remove
posixAccount and shadowaccount objectclasses from already
existing entries.
AuditV3--2010-09-02-18:36:52.865+00:00DST--V3 SSL Modify--bindDN:
cn=root--client: x.x.x.x:22795--connectionID:
1943--received: 2010-09-02-18:36:52.470+00:00DST--Success
operationResponseTime: 395
timeOnWorkQ: 0
rdbmLockWaitTime: 1
clientIOTime: 0
object: cn=myname,ou=int,O=stuff
delete: gidNumber
delete: homeDirectory
delete: loginShell
delete: shadowFlag
delete: uidNumber
delete: userid
replace: objectClass

The entry log from the ldap server when trying using net-ldap:
AuditV3--2010-09-02-18:02:34.520+00:00DST--V3 Modify--bindDN:
cn=root--client: x.x.x.x:65284--connectionID: 1935--received:
2010-09-02-18:02:34.516+00:00DST--Object class violation
operationResponseTime: 4
timeOnWorkQ: 0
rdbmLockWaitTime: 0
clientIOTime: 0
object: cn=myname,ou=int,o=stuff
delete: userid
delete: gidnumber
delete: uidnumber
delete: loginshell
delete: homedirectory
delete: objectclass

I notice they are using a replace action. I looked at the net-ldap
replace api but it doesn't support this type of call.
http://net-ldap.rubyforge.org/
I tried ldap.mod with ops array with even just the objectclasses listed.
no luck. ldap.delete_attibute won't work for
objectclasses.. ldap.replace_attribute won't work for objectclasses..

Tried the ldap.add with the attr array for adding new objectclasses to
no avail. tried ldap.add_attribute for objectclass
to no avail. would just give 'objectclass violation' which is correct
because you need to add the objectclasses and the entries..tried
ldap.replace_attribute for objectclass to no avail.

Here is the way it needs to be done but doesn't work.
    dn = "cn=myname,ou=int,o=stuff"

    ops = [
      [:add, :objectclass, ["posixAccount", "shadowAccount"]],
      [:add, :homedirectory, "/home/myname"],
      [:add, :loginshell, "/bin/bash"],
      [:add, :uidnumber, "1234"],
      [:add, :gidnumber, "1234],
      [:add, :userid, "myname"]
    ]

    ldap=self.connection.. <<-- just gets me a valid connection to ldap
setup. it works just fine..
    ldap.modify( :dn => dn, :attributes => ops )
This will yield "operations error"
AuditV3--2010-09-03-15:00:44.165+00:00DST--V3 Modify--bindDN:
cn=root--client: x.x.x.x:22544--connectionID: 4884--received:
2010-09-03-15:00:44.165+00:00DST--Operations error
operationResponseTime: 0
timeOnWorkQ: 0
rdbmLockWaitTime: 0
clientIOTime: 0

Remember it needs to be a modify because the entry already exists and
I'm dealing with objectclasses.

I can do it using ruby/ldap which is my only work around currently. I
have left a note with the net-ldap devs but that rubyforge land seems
scarce..
require 'rubygems'
require 'ldap'

$HOST = 'servername'
$PORT = LDAP::LDAP_PORT
$SSLPORT = LDAP::LDAPS_PORT

conn = LDAP::Conn.new($HOST, $PORT)
conn.bind('cn=root','xxxxxxx')

conn.perror("bind")
entry1 = [
  LDAP.mod(LDAP::LDAP_MOD_ADD,'objectclass',['posixAccount','shadowAccount']),
  LDAP.mod(LDAP::LDAP_MOD_ADD,'homedirectory',['/home/myname']),
  LDAP.mod(LDAP::LDAP_MOD_ADD,'loginshell',['/bin/bash']),
  LDAP.mod(LDAP::LDAP_MOD_ADD,'uidnumber',['1234']),
  LDAP.mod(LDAP::LDAP_MOD_ADD,'gidnumber',['1234']),
  LDAP.mod(LDAP::LDAP_MOD_ADD,'userid',['myname']),
]

begin
  conn.modify("cn=mystuff,ou=int,o=stuff", entry1)
rescue LDAP::ResultError
  conn.perror("add")
  exit
end
conn.perror("add")
conn.unbind

Unfortunately my dev env for this project is windoze so I have to try to
get the ruby/ldap 0.1.1 gem compiled. I did the above on the linux
server directly.