Model validation outside of the model

Hi, having trouble validating my form:

_form.html.erb:   <% form_remote_for :user, @user, :url => { :action => "create" } do

f> %>

<table class="table">     <tr>       <td colspan="2" class="center"><div id="notice"><br /></div> </td>     </tr>     <tr>       <td class="text">Email:</td>       <td><%= f.text_field :email %></td>     </tr>

<tr>       <td class="text">Password:</td>       <td><%= f.text_field :password %></td>     </tr>

<tr>         <td></td>         <td align="right">             <%= submit_tag "Add user" %>         </td>       </tr>

</table>   <% end %>

controller:   def create     @user = User.new(params[:user])

if @user.save      if(request.xhr?)       render :update do |rjs|           flash[:notice] ="<font class='notice-obj'>" + @user.email + "</font><font class='notice-pos'> was added successfully!</font>"

rjs.replace_html "notice", :partial => 'notice'           rjs.visual_effect(:highlight, "notice", :startcolor => "#D6D6D6", :endcolor => "#ffffff", :duration => 2)         end       else         redirect_to_index and return       end     end   end

On the surface, it seems that if a user enters invalid info into the fields, it doesn't make it to the redirect_to_index at all. In fact, when I put a flash[:notice] into the else and submit invalid info, it doesn't make it. That's problem #1.

I guess problem #2 follows #1. Where would I put <%= error_messages_for 'user' %>, if that's the right way to do it, firstly.

Thanks!

On the surface, it seems that if a user enters invalid info into the fields, it doesn't make it to the redirect_to_index at all. In fact, when I put a flash[:notice] into the else and submit invalid info, it doesn't make it. That's problem #1.

Have you read through your code? cutting out the fluff it does

if @user.save ... end i.e. nothing happens if the user isn't valid. Looks like you flipped the request.xhr? test with the user validity one

I guess problem #2 follows #1. Where would I put <%= error_messages_for 'user' %>, if that's the right way to do it, firstly.

In your notice partial.

Fred

partial: <%= flash[:notice] if flash[:notice] %> <%= @user.errors %>

I get # for errors ?

You can't just dump a ruby object into your html like that (apart from anything else the default string representation on an object has <> in it, which confuses browsers. That's what error_messages_for is for (or build your own replacement)

Fred