Model password validation

Hi, I'm doing something that seems so simple, but I can't figure it out. I'm writing a change password function for the "my account" section of a site. I want the user to enter their old password and their new password (and a confirmation), and then check that the old password matches before updating the record.

However, I don't know how to keep the old password around in order to do the validation. Because the validations happen in the model, the attributes are wiped out when assigning the new password value to the object.

I have to admit that I'm having trouble with validations generally. Database stuff is fine and relatively easy, but anything not backed by the database and I'm at a loss.

Does this make sense? How do you handle this?

Cheers, Jord

No no no.

I have to disagree. This ‘change password’ should be called in the model.

However, I’d refactor it a bit.

view:

Old password: <% password_field_tag %> New password: <% password_field(:user, :password) %>

New password (confirm): <% password_field(:user, :password_confirmation) %>

controller

def change_password

end

Sorry… gmail’s being a pest. I tried to post an example but it got cut off. The solution provided by Lucasz is a great one. However, I still like to have that sort of stuff in the model instead of the controller because I may have various ways for a password to be changed.

Thanks both for your suggestions. I've managed to come up with something that works now.

I've added a virtual attribute to take the current password from the user and this is only validated when a password is changed. So, now I have something like this:

Model:

class Customer < ActiveRecord::Base     attr_accessor :current_password     validates_presence_of :current_password, :on => :update, :if => :password_change?

def change_password(attributes)       @password_change = true       self.attributes = attributes       save     end

private

def validate_on_update             if password_change?                 errors.add(:current_password, "is incorrect") unless encrypt(current_password) == crypted_password             end         end

def password_change?             @password_change         end end

Controller:

class AccountController < ApplicationController     def change_password         @customer = @current_customer         if request.post?             if @customer.change_password(params[:customer])                 flash[:notice] = "Your password has been changed"             end         end     end end

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers, Jord

Very nice.