Missing migration file

I accidentally deleted a migration file and its up. I looked in the development.log and it was to create a view I don’t actually need.

database: eventpuddle_development

Status Migration ID Migration Name

Have you run these migrations in production yet, or is it just in development? Because you can back your way out of this manually, but if you aren't careful, you can end up with things out of synch between your code and your actual database. The migrations and the schema_migrations table are a kind of "git" for your database. Speaking of which, can't you recover the missing migration file from a previous git commit or branch?

Assuming you cannot, and you are willing to live on the edge (which would be a pretty redundant statement if you were not running git, you will admit):

Manually delete (through SQL) the view that this migration would have created, if it exists, in all databases. Manually delete (through SQL) the row with the value '20170903000942' from the schema_migrations table.

Now it is as though that missing migration was never run and doesn't exist.

Walter

PS I haven’t actually deployed anything to production. I do want to this week which is why I want to sort this out.

LOL

Not sure why you thought I was not using git. Do you say deleting the view from the DB and the schema_migrations table is risky as you you think rails may hold the data about the migration somewhere else?

On the git front I don’t tend to commit stuff that does not work but I guess if I create a local branch for stuff and don’t commit it remotely I can delete the branch and keep my remote git pure(ish) but the rails database would still be unconsistent, or should I use a efferent git workflow.

PS changes are not in production.

"pure"? In general you'll be best off always working in a feature branch and making frequent commits, especially for things like migrations that have side effects.

And you can delete remote branches as well as local ones, so...

By pure I mean don’t have code in a remote repository that does not work, but if I keep it in a local one is is not an issue Surrey if I run a migration and then delete the branch the migrations table will be out of sync. I guess the answer is to be more careful:). I guess backing up the DB first is another strategy.

Migrations create views? I didn’t know that

As the context indicates, the "view" refers to the database, e.g.

MySQL :: MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual :: 13.1.21 CREATE VIEW Statement

The are suposed to but probably best to use the scinic gem. I had creating views without it working but when I tried to deplay alough migration did not error I had to add it manualy.